Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Kit/Stall question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Kit/Stall question

So, Iv never driven a stalled auto with a shift kit befor, but it seems my next f body is going to be an auto ls1. My question to you guys is how does a stall (about 3200), and a shift kit change daily driving? Correct me if im wrong but a shift kit just removes the shift overlap in the auto transmission thus giving much more of a solid manual like shift, thus increasing the life of your tranny? This removal of shift over lap isnt like a uncomfortable jerking is it?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the shift kit first and the car would jerk pretty badly on the 1-2 shift when accelerating hard. After installing the 3200 Vig converter it actually softened the shift considerably, so it actually drives better now. I'm happy with the combo overall.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say pretty badly, do you mean like, in the car with some one who can't drive a manual jerk, or in jerk pretty badly, because its a camaro? Thanks for the input tho Anyone else have similar experiances?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

It depends on how the shift kit is set up. There are varying levels in most kits and as mentioned the stall can hide alot on the "jerking" feeling , Of note however that "jerking" is not a bad thing if it dosent go to far. Point blank a smoothe shift = slipping clutches . Thats how the smoothe feel is acheived and in high performance that not such a good thing since the RPM come up faster and you get more slipping and more buring of the frictions, Try rubbing your hands together really fast and hard for a minute and thats a very mild version of what happens to your frictions(clutches) during a smoothe shift. Not to be confused with the soft feel of light throttle shifts with a stall. But its a compromise between getting the frictions to engage with minimal slipage and heat generation and not hitting so hard as to break stuff. But a shift kit is a good idea with a stall because of the increased torque being sent to the trans at lower speeds as long as you dont get to caried away with it in the firmness selection. With the transgo kit I suggest 1 or no washer in the accumulator.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 09-13-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an option in the Transgo shift kit to use either 1, 2, or 3 washers as shims in one of the accumulators. I went with 2 washers, which was suggested for street/strip use. Like I said, it was definitely a "firm" feeling for the 1-2 shift, to the point of being uncomfortable if it was under enough load. The stall took a little of the firmness away, so it feels pretty much perfect now. The 1-2 shift is still firm, but not overly so.