Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delima

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Delima

I have a '68 Camaro that I am getting ready to build. Right now I am in Afghanistan and will be coming home for the Thanksgiving holiday. While I am home, I plan on getting it out to a body shop to have it worked on while I am back here in Afghan.

In my garage, I also have a 2001 SS that was wrecked just before I came over. The the motor and tranny are ripe for the picking so my delima is:

Is it worth pulling the motor / tranny to put in the '68? Or should I just sell it? Longer down the road I don't think I will stay with the LS1.

Any opinions? I am just trying to sort out my plans because I will only be home for about two weeks before returning to Afghanistan and want to have plans for both cars when I get there.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMHO if you are not going to keep the LS1 in the car I would not go throught the hassles of making the change. I am sure you can sell the newer car easliy enough.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would highly recomend putting the LS1 in your 68. We put an LS1/T56 in our 67, and are very happy with the results. Runs great, wasn't very hard to do, and gets 27mpg. Very fun car to drive (with some supension, steering, brake upgrades).
Old 09-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Launching!

I have been looking for a walk through on how to do an LS1 and what is involved. I haven't found one yet. Has anyone come across a how to on it?

67 I am extremely happy with the motor that I have, I guess some of my apprehension is just not knowing what all is involved in it.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Launching!

LSx engine is computer controlled(albeit they have a carb and manifold available now), so the computer harness would need adapting( companys out there can mod for you), engine and tranny mounts( once again available out there), driveshaft, radiator and connections, exhaust change, electric fuel pump in the gas tank, shifter(stick) in different location, gauge connections( could use donor car's dash & BCM).
It is a really nice engine and when used as a daily driver you just can't beat the performance coupled with the gas mileage.
What do you want when you get done?

Be safe over there
Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Launching!

You make it sound so easy. You almost have me sold on it. How much electrical nightmare would it be? I have the air pump, and catalytic converter signals deleted and the PCM is already tuned for what I have running in it now. I have been pretty busy here and I have only looked around a little, but some of the wiring threads make it sound like you have to pull wires, cut wires, have codes deleted. So I guess it isn't that difficult then.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Easy...now there's a relative term!

Some splicing is required..VATS comes to mind first, speedo, tach, fuel oil prssure, etc. Alot of the wires probably won't get used in most applications, for specifics you can work with companies like 'Speartech' for custom wiring and programing.
None of it is really difficult if you have some talent for it...difficult if you don't!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Launching!

I know a guy down in San Antonio who is about to put the LS1/T56 in when he gets his Camaro back from the body shop.

I may be mistaken, but you might have to modify the k-member. They put an LS2 in a 70 Nova (same front subframe as the 67-69 Camaro) on Musclecar (tv show) and the oil pan was too long to fit, so they had to cut the middle section out of the k-member, box in the openings, and run some square tubing across. It wasn't that hard to do, but you might have to do it.

Does the LS1 and LS2 have different clearances?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Usually the F-body(LS1) car's oil pan will fit.

Might also check 'Street & Performance' web site, they have a lot of stuff and knowledge!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the help. I think I have deceided to ditch the car for the money. The drivetrain is a little ways down the line. I am going to need the money to get the body / frame built right.

Quick Reply: Delima