Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who running DARTS with their single behive PSI springs on boosted application?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who running DARTS with their single behive PSI springs on boosted application?

If your running the stock single PSI springs on your Dart Heads on a blown or turbo application how many lbs of boost you running, any issues and how big is your cam? Has anyone heard of these DART PSI springs failing yet?

Really prefer dual springs but may be in the market for some DART 225 heads that come with the PSI single beehive springs good for .625 lift. The problem in my mind however is running up to 12 lbs of boost will create a lot more cylinder wall pressure and valve train abuse, and are these springs good enough on a somewhat aggessive Comp Cam with XER lobes, and specs of 224/230, .581/.592 lift, 114 +2 lsa? Will these springs be good enough for my application which will make around 700rwhp on 12 lbs of boost.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:26 PM
9 Second Club

I would go with the dual springs and yella terra rockers.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody with F/I is running dart heads with the stock psi springs?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
Nobody with F/I is running dart heads with the stock psi springs?
What is the reason you want to do this? Valve float for the loss!
Old 09-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

I have the Dart heads, but I swapped over to a set of patriot duals.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
What is the reason you want to do this? Valve float for the loss!
Didn't say I wanted to do this and I am sure I will go with dual springs, however, curious who is running these DART single PSI behive springs and has anyone heard of any breakage (b/c they are suppose to be a very, very good, strong, behive spring, good to .625 lift) and I have not personally heard of any crapping out yet, have you?

Nothing more, nothing less, just curious whose runnig them in a f/i application and have they had any issues with them?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
Didn't say I wanted to do this and I am sure I will go with dual springs, however, curious who is running these DART single PSI behive springs and has anyone heard of any breakage (b/c they are suppose to be a very, very good, strong, behive spring, good to .625 lift) and I have not personally heard of any crapping out yet, have you?

Nothing more, nothing less, just curious whose runnig them in a f/i application and have they had any issues with them?
Lots more to a spring working than just breaking or not. Take the added seat pressure of a dual spring for a boosted application.

Marty
Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I ran those heads/springs with a 222/228 XE cam with no issues at all to nearly 20psi @ 7100rpm. With an XER I would probably go doubles though but they are free if you buy the heads so I would run them and see how it goes before shitcanning them.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
I ran those heads/springs with a 222/228 XE cam with no issues at all to nearly 20psi @ 7100rpm. With an XER I would probably go doubles though but they are free if you buy the heads so I would run them and see how it goes before shitcanning them.
Now there you go, some great input coming from the fastest cent. superchared stock cubed car on this forum!

KP, how many 1/4 mile passes would you estimate you had on your boosted application, on the PSI single beehive springs that come on the DARTS you ran! Thanks man, great info!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I think I would ditch the XER lobes before giving up on the springs. With the kind of power that many have made on a stock ls6 cam, I just don't see the necessity of running an all-out cam unless you have racing class limits that you didn't yet specify. Then again, I don't like extra maintenance, so I wouldn't run those "valve beater" lobes on anything. This is just one LAZY man's opinion.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:43 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I dont think the XER lobes are that tough on springs if the rockers arent heavy and the RPM is reasonable.

But yea the XE cams are very easy on the valvetrain parts and on a daily driver I would stick with the XE or even the LS6 in a forced induction car. There is no doubt the the bigger XER picked up a few mph on mine but my main reason for doing it was to relieve some mid range cylinder pressure (IE head gaskets) and take some bottom end off the car to keep the nose down and move it up top and for that it works. Along with higher shift points of course.

But anyways I ran the PSI/Dart springs a whole season and then swapped them just for maintenance, but that was a .560 lift XE lobe cam. I would have put the used one on another car, they were all pretty close to the new ones tension-wise when I checked them.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Damnit KP, I like to argue with people, but all of your posts seem reasonable and well thought-out. However, your comments about if the parts aren't that heavy and if the rpm is reasonable is why I gave the caveat about STOCK parts and 6800rpm. BTW, I heard that they repaved Steele. Is the top end any smoother?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:00 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
Damnit KP, I like to argue with people, but all of your posts seem reasonable and well thought-out. However, your comments about if the parts aren't that heavy and if the rpm is reasonable is why I gave the caveat about STOCK parts and 6800rpm. BTW, I heard that they repaved Steele. Is the top end any smoother?
I didnt see anything in your post above mine about stock rockers or 6800rpm, unless you posted it somewhere else and I didnt see it. But yea, that would be reasonable weight and RPM

Steele paved the entrance area when you pull in the gate and lost the speed bumps in the 1/4 mile shutdown. Its a LOT better but there are still some ruts in the track, its a shame really since its a decent facility and always seem to hook well.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Sorry, KP, I posted in another thread about valvesprings, and confused it with this one. It seems everyone wants a track setup with street manners.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
Sorry, KP, I posted in another thread about valvesprings, and confused it with this one. It seems everyone wants a track setup with street manners.
thats what I want too I'm pretty close, but one of the main reasons to go forced induction is to let the blower do the work, unlike nitrous combos you can make some damn big power with very mediocre heads/cam/intake.

Pretty much the same combo I have ran 9.40 @ 144 with an 01 LS6 cam with off the shelf dart heads. Even ran the same cam/blower on stock 98 heads with 02 LS6 springs and it ran 9.70s, didnt wind it up too far (6600) since it had stock connecting rods.

But without a doubt the D1 and 01 LS6 cam was truly a sleeper setup, now the car lopes and whines with the big blower and cam but thats fine for what I do with it. But with the LS6 cam it surprised a LOT of people when it ran and I bet the 02 LS6 springs would last 100K miles
Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

GREAT info KP thanks BRO, and here's to you go getting that 8 second time slip this fall!