Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to tell if I have Tru Trac or Eaton Posi????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to tell if I have Tru Trac or Eaton Posi????

I bought a new Moser 9" rearend off a member here. He did not know if it was a Tru Trac or Eaton Posi. Is there anyway of me finding out which one it is without opening it up? I haven't installed it yet but when I spin the axles both spin in the same direction.

If I do have to take it apart how would I tell which one I have? Are there markings or anything that will stand out? I have have messed with rears before, I put a locker in my dakota after I blew up my spider gears. I have never messed with a 9" though.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

A tru trac is basically the same type diff as a torsen. It's torque biasing, if you turn one wheel the other one should turn the opposite direction.
The Eaton is a limited slip with clutches and preload springs, sounds like you have an Eaton. I did a quick search and found all the info you should need RIGHT HERE.
EDIT I read the article the link goes to, I don't agree with their theory of operation between the two, but it should help you ID what you have.
Basically the limited slip pushes the side gears against the clutch packs during high torque, the preload springs just help under low torque.
On the tru trac the gear ratio of the helical cut gears is high (numerically) that basically makes it more difficult for the wheels to turn at different speeds.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 09-13-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the info 8a8mfh.