Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a complete schooling on 400trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need a complete schooling on 400trans

For the past year I have been doing a ground up build on a 68 firebird 400. It's almost ready for paint, so now I need to get the drivetrain ready to go back in. I've decided to to go with a 12 bolt rear. (if any vendors have great specials, please send a pm). The engine is a 1976 455 that's been completely rebuilt with a few bolt-ons to add a few extra hp. I have been told the tranny is a turbo 400. The fluid pan says "Hydromatic on it". The tires are pretty much stock measurements. I'm well versed on manual transmissions, but I am a complete void of information when it comes to automatics. I tried reading the sticky thread but it seemed like a collection of questions, not too much info.

My goal is a daily, reliable driver. I'm guessing my hp in the low 400's & torque in the high 400's. I'm not interested in going to the track or worried about times. My tranny has been sitting at a shop that took a quick glance at it. They said everything seems to be in good shape. So to start off my questions. What stall would be best for my goal? Should I get a new flex plate to go with the new converter? What are the common problems with this tranny/ What should I beef-up change out while it's on the bench? Do I need a tranny cooler vs. getting a deeper, finned tranny pan? Am I a complete lazy *** for not reading through countless threads?

Those are all the questions That pop off the top of my head. Basically like the thread title suggests, I'm looking for any advice about my tranny. Thanks!