General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Good Pushrods.. and difficulty on the installation.??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Pushrods.. and difficulty on the installation.??

Hey i recentaly raced my friends 5.0 and after the race i was in 4th and put it in second to down shift but didnt mean to let off the clutch so early so rpms redline'd and now i guessing a have a broken or bent pushrod.. car makes ticking noises at idle and while driving... im just wondering what they usually run for and what are some good brands.. and for the installation is it hard... and if anyone could can you tell me the steps on installing them.. thanks alot i really appreciate it..
Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

don't know all the brands but the most popular are the comp cams chromoly pushrods. I think I got mine with 918 springs and locks for 130 dollars total? Anyways the installation isn't hard but will take time. You pretty much take off your coil packs, valve covers, rocker arms, and they slide right out. I took off all of the lines and hoses when I did mine to make it easier, the vacuum lines, fuel lines at the fuel rail, etc. for the fuel line make sure you buy the tool otherwise you'll break the inards and it won't seal when you put it back on. It's a cheap tool you can get at any parts store. when you pull out the pushrods roll them to see if any are bent, if it is you have possibility of more damage on that valve and check for any wear on the slots where the rods go. When you install the new ones the rocker arms are just torqued down (not sure the torque off hand) and make sure the rods are seated in the cup on the rocker. make sure the valve cover seal is clean and torque the cover down, then install everything else.

what did the car redline at and for how long? You might not have a bent pushrod but it still wouldn't be a bad thing to check or change out especially if you put a lot of abuse on the engine. If you don't see much abuse or high RPM's you can always find a set of used rods on these forums. I have my set that were in good shape if you want them.

I feel like I'm missin something so someone help me out here
Old 09-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks alot for the info i was wondering if its not a bent pushrod what else can it be..
Old 09-14-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

It probably is a pushrod after something like that, when i did my cam i noticed i had 2 bent pushrods. One wasn't to bad that even with rolling i hardly noticed it, but the one i kept looked bent just holding it up to a light. Its not a hard job, once you do it you'll realize its pretty easy. But it does take some time, but nothing to long.
-Joel