LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LE3 Question/stock block

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LE3 Question/stock block

New guy here, been lurking for a while but have a question.

I purchased a set of LE3 heads and matched cam.

According to Lloyds website, one would think that the LE3 combo could be used with a stock shortblock. After emailing him, he says that it would not work.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this.

I have a great compression stock 4 bolt main block that i want to use.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

The valve reliefs in the factory pistons are the hold up. If you already got it apart now would be a good time for some upgraded bottom end parts. Even if the heads wouldn't give you trouble in the v2p clearence dept. there's prolly only a matter of time b4 the r's you'd be pulling would grenade the bottom end. Sounds like you got a great block to start with. The factory crank has been known to take a pretty hard beating. If you upgrade to some 6.0" rods and get some new flat top pistons with proper valve reliefs(Mahle is a good choice) you'd prolly be o.k. Keep in mind that this is only a rough run down.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
The valve reliefs in the factory pistons are the hold up. If you already got it apart now would be a good time for some upgraded bottom end parts. Even if the heads wouldn't give you trouble in the v2p clearence dept. there's prolly only a matter of time b4 the r's you'd be pulling would grenade the bottom end. Sounds like you got a great block to start with. The factory crank has been known to take a pretty hard beating. If you upgrade to some 6.0" rods and get some new flat top pistons with proper valve reliefs(Mahle is a good choice) you'd prolly be o.k. Keep in mind that this is only a rough run down.
thanks for the info. i will probably stay NA, but may through a 75 shot at it sometime, so i guess i should figure out a good piston/rod combo. If I go 6.0 rods that changes the displacement on the .10 over stock bore to what?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by b16gsr
thanks for the info. i will probably stay NA, but may through a 75 shot at it sometime, so i guess i should figure out a good piston/rod combo. If I go 6.0 rods that changes the displacement on the .10 over stock bore to what?
Rod length doesn't change displacement, it changes the rod angle ratio. In simple terms the longer rod in a lot of cases will help with freer reving if I understand this concept correctly. If you get a 6.0" rod make sure that the pistons you buy are for a 6.0" rod or you'll hang the piston out of the top of the block. It might look cool on an engine stand with the piston hanging out roughly .300 but it wouldn't be too pretty otherwise.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Rod length doesn't change displacement, it changes the rod angle ratio. In simple terms the longer rod in a lot of cases will help with freer reving if I understand this concept correctly. If you get a 6.0" rod make sure that the pistons you buy are for a 6.0" rod or you'll hang the piston out of the top of the block. It might look cool on an engine stand with the piston hanging out roughly .300 but it wouldn't be too pretty otherwise.
understood completely. thank you

Quick Reply: LE3 Question/stock block