Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What happens if tranny is only filled 60% full?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What happens if tranny is only filled 60% full?

If a t56 tranny on a 00 trans am is filled with 2.5 quarts vs the called for 4.1 quarts what happens to the transmission? Im currently in a debate with someone about this and need some others thoughts. What exactly would be the process that would happen to the tranny, what would be damaged, and what signs would it start to give?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Additonal metal would wear off the parts. Hard to get in gear, grinding when shifting, and overall noise would increase.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
Additonal metal would wear off the parts. Hard to get in gear, grinding when shifting, and overall noise would increase.
Can you give me the logistics of the hard to get into gear, the grinding when shifting please.

Thats what i said, however the other party mentioned that it would not affect grinding or getting into gear, it would only make the gears whine. He insisted that the fluid would have absolutly nothing to do with getting into gear or grinding.

As many thoughts welcomed as i would like to send him a link to this thread once it gets a little more filled up.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Probably not a whole lot . The gears sling the fluid up and there is not a pump in the unit . I've seen a lot transmissions in general run perfectly fine up until they were so low that the lower gears could not throw the fluid up to the top gears and end up burning the inputshaft and cluster up . The noise might increase slightly but 90% of people driving would not notice it .
Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would seem to me in my past experience that it is harder to get into gear, especially when cold. Also any sort of 'spirited' driving would cause additional grinding and obviously more metal shavings. That's what I have seen through experience.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:21 AM
wrencher

Less fluid also means more heat gained & retained in lesser fluid mass.
Not worth analizing IMO, put the proper fill in it.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We see this all the time. It will eat the heat treat off the gear causing blueing of the gears and counter shaft. When that happens there is nothing you can do with the gears and counter shaft except replace them. I have had customers with leaking seals and not checking fluid levels and it will start to whine. Once that happens you are guaranteed that the heat treat is gone and it is just a matter of time before the teeth on the counter shaft or input shaft break. Saw 4 cases of this exact thing just thing week Very expensive mistake.

Amber
Six Speeds Inc.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
We see this all the time. It will eat the heat treat off the gear causing blueing of the gears and counter shaft. When that happens there is nothing you can do with the gears and counter shaft except replace them. I have had customers with leaking seals and not checking fluid levels and it will start to whine. Once that happens you are guaranteed that the heat treat is gone and it is just a matter of time before the teeth on the counter shaft or input shaft break. Saw 4 cases of this exact thing just thing week Very expensive mistake.

Amber
Six Speeds Inc.
But this doesn't happen at 60% , its more like 10-15% .
Old 09-15-2007, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No we see it when the trans is 60% full. Every case is different but the ones we have now still had at least 2 qts in them if not more. I see this all of the time especially since we have done close to 1100 T-56's. Customers don't put enough fluid and it burns up the transmission.

Amber
Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

I can't say I have ever seen it myself . Infact a lot of drag racers use less fluid in the transmissions and differentials to help cut down the parasitic loss of the oil dragging on the gears .
Old 10-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thesource
I can't say I have ever seen it myself . Infact a lot of drag racers use less fluid in the transmissions and differentials to help cut down the parasitic loss of the oil dragging on the gears .
Hey man ive been tryingto get ahold of you can you all me at 281-380-4848
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neodamonkey
Hey man ive been tryingto get ahold of you can you all me at 281-380-4848
Your phone is ringing .........
Old 10-06-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Ive recently had hard shifting and a consistant grind into 3rd unless i shifted below 2100 rpm. Anyways, got my 4 litres of dexVI(apparently the new dexIII), and clutch fluid. Got the drain plug off after 1/2 an hour of reafing and soakin in WD40, drained out the fluid which looked brown, thin and a small amount of fluid(not 4 quarts!). Flushed it out with a bit of new fluid and did the clutch(went from a solid black colour to an off colour of the new brake fluid). Driving today has been great, havent gone higher than 3k on shifts, but it feels excellent compared to the way it did before, the clutch esp. feels alot more solid. I figure if I do my math right, there was less than 3 quarts in there before the flush, hopefully this solves my 3rd gear problem, so far it has!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happens if tranny is only filled 60% full?