Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners or EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HP Tuners or EFI Live

It's a scary thought but im thinking about purchasing hp tuners or efi live. Which software is more "user friendly" for a person thats new to tuning? I was kinda browsing around on someones sig on here that has tips on HP tuners and it seems as you guys upload your "bin" files which im guessing is the actual tune for people to see on the internet. Whats the easiest way to learn this stuff download a tune thats somewhat near your mods off of the uploaded site and start tweaking from there and get an idea of what to look for/do in the tune? Do most people that purchase tuning software already have a great idea as what to do or do some start on the crash course?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great place to start for this question https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/368718-read-me-best-ls1-tuning-software-best-scanner-best-handheld.html

As for the learning curve these are my suggestions http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11178

Both are great products and will get the job done.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you maybe some day want to tune other makes I would go with HP tuners though... They are soon to release applications on a broader market...
Old 09-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Cant really go wrong with either one.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. Pick one and learn to use it and you will like it. I personally like HP Tuners, but it is all I know. EFI Live had better support at one time, but that isnt the case now. If I have a question, I can get it answered
Old 09-15-2007, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can download EFI LIVE as a fully functioning demo that allows you to read and modify files but not save them. So at least you can try before you buy, which is something HPT lacks. EFI LIVE has better descriptions IMO than HPT too. I had my first glimpse at HPT a few weeks ago when I was working with a mate that uses it. It was good to see both programs working side by side. My mate even agreed that the layout and descriptions in EFI LIVE are superior. He got HPT because he didn't know of anything better at that time. He even said to me that he was impressed with EFI LIVE and that if he had his time again thats the way he would go. The support for EFI LIVE is comparable to HPT. We can chat straight to the developers if needed and they will always respond promptly. Plenty of files in the repository to get you started too and many tuners that will help you with any issues. Plus free upgrades and Custom Operating systems.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Hands down, EFILive is the superior product. But, the best way for you to spend your money is by researching and deciding what's best for you. Stop by www.forum.efilive.com and see for yourself.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by macca_779
You can download EFI LIVE as a fully functioning demo that allows you to read and modify files but not save them. So at least you can try before you buy, which is something HPT lacks. Plenty of files in the repository to get you started too and many tuners that will help you with any issues. Plus free upgrades and Custom Operating systems.
I had seen HPT in action and probably would have gone with it, but then I downloaded the free EFILive software and started playing with it. Once I learned my way around it, I really liked it, and from there the decision was sealed. So do the download and see for yourself ...

All the points above are spot on, and the free upgrade policy is great.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

I looked at both and my deciding factor was I had three vehicles that I could tune. HP Tuners came with enough credits to do 4 while EFI Live was 2 vehicles. Adding new vehicles is about the same price per vin ($95 vs $99).

You can learn alot by reading both forums.

I am tuning my daily driver trailblazer for better fuel economy. I calculated that only a 1/2 mpg improvement will pay for the tuning software over the next 100K miles of the truck. From what I have read, it is easy to pull out 1-2 and possibly 3-4 more mpg. So that is a easy way to justify buying either package. I am still on my first tank of gas with the trailblazer, so time will tell at the fill up.