Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much to ask for powder coated calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much to ask for powder coated calipers?

I have a set of 4 calipers for a 98-02 fbody. I think I am going to get them powder coated and then sell them. How much do you think I could sell them for and is anyone here interested in buying them?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

I think I was quoted $20 per caliper when I was going to get mine done. I ended up not doing it because I didn't want to tear down and rebuild the internals of them. So if my number are right, that would be $80 plus the $ of your time. I would say $120 or so, but that's just a guess.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Thumpin305
I think I was quoted $20 per caliper when I was going to get mine done. I ended up not doing it because I didn't want to tear down and rebuild the internals of them. So if my number are right, that would be $80 plus the $ of your time. I would say $120 or so, but that's just a guess.
This is for a complete set without you having to send me your old ones and they will be rebuilt and ready to slap on the car. The mounting brackets will be powdercoated too.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say not to expect more than $200 for the set. Then take offers from there. Also depends on how good the powdercoating is. Take into account that painting them pretty much gives the same results as powdercoating. It may not be as durable but it's not like calipers are all that exposed. A good paint job on them can last several years. Mine have lasted 3 years now without any chips or flaking paint.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow

Originally Posted by 98redM6
I would say not to expect more than $200 for the set. Then take offers from there. Also depends on how good the powdercoating is. Take into account that painting them pretty much gives the same results as powdercoating. It may not be as durable but it's not like calipers are all that exposed. A good paint job on them can last several years. Mine have lasted 3 years now without any chips or flaking paint.
Whats steps did you use? primer, paint and then clear coat? becuase i've seen some with just spray paint and after 6 months it looks horrible....
Old 09-14-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I did was washed them with a brush and made sure they were completely free of any grease, dirt, or contaminants. Then I sprayed them with brake cleaner to get rid of anything else. Let them dry then proceeded to spray them with caliper paint of my choice in light coats. Did about 3 coats with 10 minutes of drying time inbetween. Then did one final heavy coat. Let them dry for about 2 hours, applied my decals, then did 2 light coats, 1 medium coat with clear with also 10 minutes inbetween of drying time.

You can also rough them up with a low grit sandpaper 80-100 or so. This will give the paint something to bite into. Then you can proceed to use primer before the paint. I didn't and still got good results.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:16 PM

Someone had them on ebay for like $120 or $150, can't remember. They were doing them as a business.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:17 PM

I have a spare set I keep meaning to have powder coated.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98redM6
What I did was washed them with a brush and made sure they were completely free of any grease, dirt, or contaminants. Then I sprayed them with brake cleaner to get rid of anything else. Let them dry then proceeded to spray them with caliper paint of my choice in light coats. Did about 3 coats with 10 minutes of drying time inbetween. Then did one final heavy coat. Let them dry for about 2 hours, applied my decals, then did 2 light coats, 1 medium coat with clear with also 10 minutes inbetween of drying time.

You can also rough them up with a low grit sandpaper 80-100 or so. This will give the paint something to bite into. Then you can proceed to use primer before the paint. I didn't and still got good results.
This is exactly what I did, except I didn't clearcoat them. They have been painted for a few years now and look great (except for a few minor chips).

Quick Reply: How much to ask for powder coated calipers?