LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 Supercharged. Ur Opinion on Gears plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 Supercharged. Ur Opinion/ help plz

It's a 1996 Camaro SS with a Vortech Maxflow Supercharged 383, 502 HP on the crank, 446 RWHP. The car currently has 10 bolt with a 3:73, would u keep it that way or go 4:10 with that much power? It's automatic right now but going to be a 6 speed soon. Every comment and/or opinion will be greatly appreciated. Also, do you think these numbers are right, I did not buy the car yet but that's what I was told and he even got dyno results to show me, shouldn't it put more than that if it's a supercharged 383?
Attached Thumbnails 383 Supercharged. Ur Opinion on Gears plz-my-supercharged-383.jpg  

Last edited by justforparts; 09-14-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

i would keep that for now and save the money to upgrade the rear to a 9" later but with a blower that setup should be puting out more then that my 396 n/a put 450 to the wheels you should be looking more at like 650+
Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Teching In

I didn't buy the car yet, I'm going to actually buy it soon and that's what I was told. You got a point though, I did honestly think about it before, maybe he just doesn't know what's up or what? He's 63 years old and he gave me these hp numbers, I'm confused. Could it be only supercharged without a 383? help me out here before I buy this car.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justforparts
I didn't buy the car yet, I'm going to actually buy it soon and that's what I was told. You got a point though, I did honestly think about it before, maybe he just doesn't know what's up or what? He's 63 years old and he gave me these hp numbers, I'm confused. Could it be only supercharged without a 383? help me out here before I buy this car.
It totally depends upon what kind of 383 set-up he's running? If it's just the bottom end with nothing more than a "Hotcam" and/or home ported heads, then yeah, 446rwhp could be right on...Especially if the boost isn't real high. But if it's a 383 w/ a heck of top-end (much bigger cam) along with worked over aftermarket heads then those #'s would definitely be low.

Again, it just depends upon the specifics of his set-up and how it's tuned. But we need more info to better advise.

If it's a nice car though and runs great, pick it up if the deal is good enough. Good luck,

Mike
Old 09-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Teching In

That's a good point, he told me about the forged pistons and so on and he has receipts as well for engine work, my question is how do I check that? I mean I don't think there's a way for me to check if it's a 383, I can see the supercharger but I can't know if it's a 383. Opinions...
Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

i would stay with the 373's you will have the best overall performance with them on the street.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

buy it, even thought hat is low numbers, its still a lot. most people on here dont make that much. If i had to do it all over i wouldve bought a supercharged car, very streetable, big power. Only draw-back is that its not cheap, but the best way to go for streetable, 446 is a good amount of hp, the flywheel number looks low. That would be like an 11 percent drivetrain loss. Thats the only thing that sounds off to me.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Teching In

I'll sure take a good look at the dyno before I buy it, I will see it for the first time next Saturday, I always wanted to have a 1996 and then put a 383 and later on supercharge it, when I found this one I said that's gonna save me a lot of work down the road. What would the first thing you would check if you were me? It has a 400 turbo with a 3800 stall and a B&M shifter right now but I'm difinately NOT an automatic guy and I got a 6 speed waiting to change RIGHT AWAY.
This man bought the car a year ago and the previous owner told him about the machine shop where all the work was done, the 383 work and the supercharg installation, so he went to that shop and they simply didn't treat him very well, he just wanted to get more info on the car but because he didn't come for business he felt they are trying to have him leave so he left without much info but he's got all the dyno papers and the receipts from the previous owner of all that was done. I might be wrong about the flywheel HP but I'm positive he told me it's 446 RWHP.
What would you do if you were me when you go to check it out?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do 3.42s, to carry max boost longer in each gear.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fireman
i agree if you are set on changing gears
Old 09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman
its not a turbo... it don't build all its boost at once... it builds all the way to the max rpm.. so longer gear makes it just take longer to get to max boost.

At least that is how my buddy's car works... and im sure all centrifugal s/c work that way.

and putting in a 6 speed would be going backwards. It has a th400 and all that but you want it gone??? that is also backasswards. Auto's are faster. And you would have a strong auto to begin with.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

First thing I'd do to that car is yank out that automatic.. I mean, you know what kinda guys drive autos!

Although, depending on how your gonna launch it, the 10 bolt maybe ok.. If your gonna be launching it from a stop, I'd be looking for something better..
Old 09-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Good points Dragframe, but I really don't like Automatics, I'm not really into drag races, it's going to be my weekend car to cruise around town, how exactly a 6 speed would be going backwards with this setup? I know the Th400 would be faster but a 6 speed would be that bad for this setup? Thanks again for your comment man, keep them coming plz.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Teching In

ok thanks tram.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

No sweat buddy, that's what I'm here for..

If your gonna cruise and not plan on dropping it from high RPM's, I'd leave the 10 bolt in it until you blew it up..

The 6 speed would be more fun to drive, for sure..
Old 09-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Now we're cooking Tram .
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tram
First thing I'd do to that car is yank out that automatic.. I mean, you know what kinda guys drive autos!

Although, depending on how your gonna launch it, the 10 bolt maybe ok.. If your gonna be launching it from a stop, I'd be looking for something better..

Ur dumb then. Lets waste all the money and time someone spent to put the nice strong A3 in the car to spend MORE money making it slower, adding in a clutch that wears out (and you need a decent one for that power), and a style of transmission that is going to tear that poor car apart much faster than the auto... and tear the rear end apart FAST and cost MORE money... hmmm real smart.

No point in making a exspensive hobby more expensive
Old 09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
Ur dumb then. Lets waste all the money and time someone spent to put the nice strong A3 in the car to spend MORE money making it slower, adding in a clutch that wears out (and you need a decent one for that power), and a style of transmission that is going to tear that poor car apart much faster than the auto... and tear the rear end apart FAST and cost MORE money... hmmm real smart.

Yeah because all people do with F-bodys is drag race them. No one has a daily driver or a car for a road coarse. And turning 4000RPM's on the highway sounds like fun too.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragframe

Cool your jets internet ranger, I was just ribbing justforparts..
Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

I think some of you are confused. I don't the original poster has the TH400 in his potential car. Instead of arguing about which is better, let's just answer his question. Keep the 3.73's if you leave the auto in it, go 4.10/4.11 if you put a 6 speed in it. If it was a turbo car, I say put a 3.23 in it or higher gear. Like they said, it's a supercharged car, you don't make max boost til the top of the rpm range so you want a lower gear to get there faster.

Quick Reply: 383 Supercharged. Ur Opinion on Gears plz