Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! What is this strange noise??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default Help!! What is this strange noise??

Well in the past few days I've noticed a strange noise coming from the passenger side of the motor. It sounds like a ticking noise. I thought it was the AIR check valves so I removed and blocked that system but the sound is still there. It doesn't happen when the engine is cold or ideling, it only shows up after about 15-20 minutes of driving. Its a ticking noise that gets quicker with rpm. Then if I cruise around under about 2k rpm it goes away. Then comes back with any rpm over 2k it seems. If I hear the noise, I'd pull over and after ideling a few seconds the noise would go away. The mods I added recently are: LS6 pcv upgrade, 28 lb/hr injectors, and removed the AIR system (the noise was there with and without it). I only have a couple hundred miles on my H/C setup that I did this winter. I don't think it's anything mechanical (rockers, springs, etc) or the noise would be present constantly right? My dad says it sounds like one of the cylinders isn't getting any gas, could it be a bum injector? I'd like to get this problem taken care of before I go to Rapid on Friday for tuning. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 06-02-2003, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Help!! What is this strange noise??

TTT 4 ya, I really dont know.

Just some thoughts would be pushrods/lifters. Did you use hardened pushrods, or stock?
Old 06-02-2003, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of people complain of a ticking noise on the stock bottom end...some say the cylinder bores are off a little and it causes the piston to "slap" around of course...and that is usually the cause of people's ticking noises. Or if you didn't replace the lifters with your h/c that could be it too. I had one do that right before I did my swap. Just might be a dry lifter...bummer too since the heads have to come off for that too
Old 06-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I think its a collapsed lifter, a shop near me said that too. Looks like the heads are comin off again. Damn. Wish me luck

Matt
Old 06-02-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck man, I am sure you will get it straightened out.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have Hydrolic roller lifter I would put money on one of them loosing its prime. It should not be hard to fix but you would have to do some troubl shooting to find which one it is.