Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

|Need help with a disassembly question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default |Need help with a disassembly question

|OK, in the process of a 4l60e to t56 conversion. I have disconnected all of the electrical connections, the filler tube bolt on the head is out, filler tube is loose, cooling lines loose, crossmember is out, starter is loose and hanging, the three flex plate bolts are out, the torque converter is spinning freely inside the bellhousing, the 8 bolts that hold the bellhousing to the block are out, torque arm is out, shifter cable is off, but I can't get the tranny to separate from the block.

I have shook it, wiggled it, put a prybar inside the starter opening and pryed against the block and bellhousing while a friend raised it up and down, tried to wedge a screwdriver in the bottom seam with no success, raised and lowered it on the tranny jack while prying and wiggleing it, but it still seems like something is still bolted together somewhere as I am making no progress whatsoever, in opening up a gap between the bellhousing and block.

I don't want to crack or break anything, so it's time for me to stop and seek some information from someone more knowledgeable than myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Teching In

The 2 bell housing dowl pins are probably rusted to the engine block. Time to get out the WD-40.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Teching In

So then I've unhooked everything I am supposed to? It has to be the dowl pins holding it that tight? I'llgo out now and use some pb blaster on them.

Thanks guy, the uncertainity was un-nerving me.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Teching In

DK, You were right of course. That bellhousing would not budge, and we couldn't even get the tip of a screwdriver in to start with. Finally ended up putting a nylon strap around the differential & tranny tailhousing and using a chain hoist between the two to pull it away from the block, along with screwdrivers once we got a small crack, and a pry bar, once it began to open up. Kept raising and lowering the tranny jack, a jack under the engine, rocking it from side to side, lol, anything we could think of. Finally.....it broke loose, pulling one of the dowl's out of the engine block as it came out. I took a punch and knocked the dowl back out of the bellhousing and after cleaning it up, reinstalled it back into the block again. Even in hindsight, it is unbelieveable that it would be frozen onto the block that tightly.

Irregardless, it is out now, and I thank you again for your help. Only I can run into one like this .