Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone know much about pitman arms on first gens?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default does anyone know much about pitman arms on first gens?

i got a steering box from carl (no idea what it cam off of) but i figured i would put my manual box on my 79 drag car (its just for the track and i cut the belt off the power steering anyway) but the pitman arms are TOTALLY differant. the one major road block is the splines on the shaft of the manual box is smaller were the splined shaft on the power box is about 111 thousands bigger. si i grabbed a pitman arm off an 87 s-10 and it fits the manual box but the angle is just slightly wrong enough to not work. i work for advance and even i cant find a listing for a pitman (manual for the 79 if i use the 68 box) off any vehicle that will work. so i'm losing it. i dont know if i should stick with the manual box or go with a rack setup, but im runnin out of money.

im asking this in this forum because even though its not really a hybrid question, alot of guys in this section are working on first gens.

so any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manual and PS pitman arms are totally different. Most GM manual and PS gear boxes from the 60s and 70s are the same. Id try and locate a pitman are from a early 2nd gen Camaro like a 70-73. Most aftermarket parts suppliers sell them......try National Parts Depot or the Paddock Company.....specialty suppliers like that.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats the easy way, but those are expensive, besides a second gen and first gen pitman are totally diff. the firts gen has the male part on the end that connects to the centerlink and the 2nd gen is all female. i was hoping someone knew of a make and model i could scrounge from the junkyard.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

try nova, '72 and older, firebirds, maybe even big body cars from '72 or such and older. look at anything with "rear steer" GM and the same shape and length as your manual arm.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

You might have better luck asking over on Team Camaro's (camaros.net) Suspension forum. There are a couple of people over there that know the 1st and 2nd gen steering inside out and might have an idea.