Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much torque should I apply to tighten the tranny mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much torque should I apply to tighten the tranny mount?

Have had some issues with poly mounts lately. Went from a ES that got loose to a Prothane unit. Something that I've been dealing with is that I'll tighten the nut that secures the mount to the crossmember. It'll be ok for awhile, but soon enough I'll get a clunk like the transmission is shifting forward and backwards. I went to tighten it and ended up snapping the stud. I had an extra so I put that one in the mount, doubled the washers, and put in the lockwasher again. How much should I tighten it down? I don't want to snap the stud again, but obviously I didn't tighten it enough last time if the trans was sliding back and forth. I'm guessing the movement might have weakened the stud, but I had my torque wrench set to 75 lbs and didn't even come close to getting it to click.

thanks, I've checked my shop book and it didn't have a torque rating.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Launching!

Well, I just looked up the motor mount torque. It said 37 lbs so that's what I did the tranny mount to. We'll see how holds up.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

I have the same problem with my stock mount. I tighten it 2 weeks ago and now I feel it moving back and forth. I tighten it to 75 lbs. but without a lock washer. I'm gonna have to check mine again.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Yeah I had 3 different studs snap/strip on me, couldnt' even get them to 37 ft-lbs... on a Prothane Tranny Mount. Wouldn't recommend it, except the company did send me 4 more bolts when the first 2 broke.