Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird problem need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird problem need help asap

i just put headers and an intake on about a month ago. i have been driving it at least 3 days a week to school which is a 80 mile round trip. so i have probably put over 1000 miles on it since i did the work. all this time i have had no problem. the other day im driving home and i lost all power/electrical/ everything for a split second and it came back on. the computer reset itself the trip was back at 0 and the needles went all the way over. basically the comp reset itself. well it kept doing it like every minute. finally it got to a point were i lost everything and it did not kick back on. i tried starting the car and it would turn over but no crank. after about 10 minutes of sitting there it finally cranked and i was able to get it home but the whole time it is killing/coming back on in split second. i got home popped the hood to check battery connection and a few other things. after it sat for 20 min i cranked it and let it idle for 20 min in driveway. no reset so i drove it around the block and seemed fine. today just trying to back it out of the driveway it reset about 2 times. think the computer is bad? maybe some wires too close to headers? need ideas im gonna pu the car on the lift tom. to see if any wires are too close to them. need inputs or suggestions
Old 09-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Check the starter wires and make sure they didnt melt on the header and are now shorting out.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

well i put the car on the lift and all the wires seem to be fine none of them seem to be burned or melted. anyway of really testing them?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

The gauges doing a full sweep and the trip meter resetting are a sign of a complete loss of electrical power, not a PCM problem. You've got a loose or damaged wire somewhere.

Re'
Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Teching In

check all your ground wires and the cable that goes to the fuse box
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

the cable that goes to the fuse box in the engine compartment
Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

well i checked all the wires and connections from batt/ to starter, altenator, fuse box. and the grounds as well. all seem to be fine. here are a few things new i found. one when at idle it is fine but when i rev up is when it shuts off. two (and this may have nothing to do with the problem) the same day the prob started, that morning my drivers side turn signal/running lamp went out. i figured the bulb. well actually the socket itself blew out and must of had like a small flash fire cuz the socket is burned and the housing is slightly burned as well. i took a good bulb and put it in just to see. the bright beam? running light or turn signal won't work but the dim section of the bulb comes on.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

i forgot to mention its only shuts off during a quick rev. if i slowly rev it up to like 3000 or 4 it does do it
Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

well for those who are interested to know it was a ground on the back of the driver side head that was causing the car to short out. the bolt that holds it there was backed out about 2 threads.