LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header bolt Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header bolt Q's

Im getting ready to install my headers and had a quick Q. I want to do the Stage 8 bolts, but not sure on which one (half inch or full inch). Anybody use them? Pros? cons? pics too would be awesome!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

go full with the full inch, it has more to grip to stay tightened. I say depending on the style header you get, the stage 8's are a PITA. I got the 1 inch bolts from freaking autozone (I know them of all places) that have the holes in the end. They allow you to route the included spring wire from bolt to bolt that locks them. It seems much easier to deal with.

They were cheap and you could save $$$ for something else.

I had issues with the stage 8 keepers stripping after a while BTW. Some love them, and some hate em. They are a good company(they sent me extras when I lost a few), but I dont want to replace the gasket for the **** stripping because of soft aluminum keepers.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97LT1
go full with the full inch, it has more to grip to stay tightened. I say depending on the style header you get, the stage 8's are a PITA. I got the 1 inch bolts from freaking autozone (I know them of all places) that have the holes in the end. They allow you to route the included spring wire from bolt to bolt that locks them. It seems much easier to deal with.

They were cheap and you could save $$$ for something else.

I had issues with the stage 8 keepers stripping after a while BTW. Some love them, and some hate em. They are a good company(they sent me extras when I lost a few), but I dont want to replace the gasket for the **** stripping because of soft aluminum keepers.
Well thats a very good point you have about the keepers. I kinda wanted to hear experiences people have had with them. Thats good to keep in mind.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

I use stage 8's without the keepers and ultra seal gaskets and dont ever worry about them. Have never backed out yet
Old 09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Header bolts do not loosen till the gasket compresses and causes the bolt to lose torque. No fancy gadgets of any sort will change that. Buy regular header bolts and frequently retighten them for the first week or two.

Quick Reply: Header bolt Q's