Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Problem with car starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with car starting

So I have stroked sb in my Chevelle. I decided to post on here since there are so many knowledgable people on this site. I was having some problems with my starter(powermaster torque) which apparently is uncommon. I was told to have it rebuilt which I did.

I put it on and the car still didnt want to start just like before. We did get it to finally start. Stopped at a gas station, wouldnt start for 20min. Went to a car meet, started up right away when we left. Then I had some guys looking at the car to buy it and it wouldnt start at all. It sounds like when you turn the key like it is hitting the flex plate. I dont think it is the starter, but I cant seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

-Jason
Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Launching!

I'm sure you've checked that battery first? Pull the flexplate cover and have a look at it, maybe some teeth are missing but since you say it sounds like its hitting it I doubt that, have you tried a different starter?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Drumer919
I'm sure you've checked that battery first? Pull the flexplate cover and have a look at it, maybe some teeth are missing but since you say it sounds like its hitting it I doubt that, have you tried a different starter?
Yea, the battery is brand new, and just to top it off the guys that were looking at the car hooked some jumper cables up to their jeep just to make sure. We also made sure it wasnt the ground. I dont know anything about flex plates covers etc, I didnt know they existed until after the guys told me thats what it sounded like. I could hear it as well. Does the flex plate or something behind it have teeth as well?

I havent tried a different starter, but this one was just rebuilt. A regular starter for a sb wont fit. I'm going to ask the guy thats does the work on my car what he thinks, and I'm sure he may have to pull a couple things apart. Its acting like it doesnt want to crank all the way or something. I dont have a clue.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Yes the flexplate has teeth around the peremeter of it that ste teeth of the starter gear engauge, if some of those teeth are missing then the starter would just spin without spinning the motor.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

sounds like its giving you more trouble when the engine gets up to temp. whats your initial timing set at?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Teching In

is the starter shimmed at all because a body of mines car would turn over and make a grinding noise and then it just sounded like the starter was spinning, his g/fs dad told him he didnt need the shim it was ony .010 of an inch and i said well it was shimmed when i pulled it of so it needs to go back on, he put the shim on and it started right up