Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Regret

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Regret

Been seeing a lot of problems lately with STS kits, and I'm sarting to wonder if I'm going to regret it seeing as I have virtually zero money to sink into any type of upgrades.

I'd like replies from only STS owners, previous STS owners, or people that have personally dealt with the kit.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jeremy02
I have virtually zero money to sink into any type of upgrades.

thats your first problem right there... things will go out of whack when you least expect them to, so you should be prepared.

i was in the same shoes as you with my sts kit when i first put it on. i had oil problems up the ***, my tranny took a **** when i least expected it, and any tuning is hours away from me. things get expensive real quick if your not prepared.

with all of that said, when i worked everything out and ironed out all the kinks (still working on a few), the car runs great and it was money well spent!!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

NEVER go FI on a 'zero money budget' !!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 70Stang
NEVER go FI on a 'zero money budget' !!

This is true for a front mount and sts. The reason you will see more problems from sts owners it because it is cheap and alot of people use it as a beginner kit. Not really wanted to spend the money for needed upgrades( like yourself) . Most (not all) guys who go with a front mount are prepared to drop 7 to 8 grand to do it right< why cause a front mouont is a lot more work to install and most only want to do it once.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just ditch the PCV setup and go with a check valve and catch can. Then just watch the oil return on the dyno and if any issues just use proper clamps and take off the quick release. Also wrap the exhaust.

I would hold off on any kind of tuning or installs until you have plenty saved up. Don't skimp on tune, fuel, and guages and youll be fine.

Its a real pain for awhile and it seems like a lot of work/gamble to get things working. But its still worth it in the end. Took me two years and I've had the car tuned for less than a week and Ive already been bombarded by people I don't even know asking about the turbo.

Last edited by JAvenger007; 09-18-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Been seeing a lot of problems lately with STS kits, and I'm sarting to wonder if I'm going to regret it seeing as I have virtually zero money to sink into any type of upgrades.

I'd like replies from only STS owners, previous STS owners, or people that have personally dealt with the kit.
It costs alot more than just the 3900 dollar kit also, so don't have 3900.50 to spend and expect it to work.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

i havent had any of those problems but like it was said above dont think that$ 3900 is all ur gonna wasteit goes for al tuner kits out there procharger etc.etc ull need injectors an upgraded fuel pump or pumps depending on how big ur setup is and intercooler..meth or both....so far ive spent $1000+ on upgrades but would be almost the same w/ most other kits...but no major problems put down 450 to the wheels w/ no intercooler or meth and my iat's were pulling some timing still have more in her..just paln ahead for other things like clutch or stall and rearends and all that other stuff that no kit comes with but ull definately need
Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

The only problems that I have had with my STS set up is the PCV (which should be upgraded and modified with FI) and one of my wires came off of the oil pump which is my fault for not properly crimping a connection.

In FI and any other type of situation where you are upgrading and modifiing a vehicle you have to expect the unexpected. It's kind of a "Catch 22" when you make a large upgrade like a turbo you in-turn have to upgrade other areas like fuel pump, injectors, tune, etc.

Overall the kit is pretty good once you make some changes to your application but once again wastegates, BOV's, inj., etc are not free so you have to have the income to back it up.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, let me clarify...below is everything I'm getting.

Originally Posted by 2000TurboVert
Ls1/Lt1 Base Kit
Autometer Boost Gauge
Innovate DB-Red Gauge / LC-1 Kit (LC1) Wideband
Dual Pillar Pod
42lb Injectors
Air Filter Shield
Air Filter Dry Sock

Oh, and not listed is an intercooler.

After that, I have no money...at all...not a bit. Getting the PCM4LESS tune, and there's nothign I can do about that...no money for a dyno tune.

No money for a new vacuum elbow(I think it's called)due to suction problems I've heard of, no money for tune after tune liek I read in one thread where some guys entire car is fucked up after installation(it seems like).
Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

I've heard of a few people having the intake elbow collapsing but never experienced it myself. If you tell the guys that do the mail order tune all your specs. they should be able to get it pretty close but not perfect.

Dyno tune is hands down the way to go but since that is not an option for you just makke sure that your not running lean under boost and you should be good.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

After that, I have no money...at all...not a bit. Getting the PCM4LESS tune, and there's nothign I can do about that...no money for a dyno tune.

No money for a new vacuum elbow(I think it's called)due to suction problems I've heard of, no money for tune after tune liek I read in one thread where some guys entire car is fucked up after installation(it seems like).

well if you have another car to drive in case something goes out, then go for it... but if not, then you have a disaster coming. believe me!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are lucky, you will be fine. Most of us haven't been...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not pass go, do not collect $200 do not install any kind of forced induction

This is the single most important part of a turbo car and the part that most people seem to mess up on the most. A good tune makes or breaks a turbo cars setup. Notice how I bolded the word good? A mail order tune is not a good tune for a FI car.

You seriously need to not install anything until you are sure you can afford to have it tuned properly. Skimping on the $400 here will most likely cost you $4000 in the near future for a new engine.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

The best advice I can give you is .... DO NOT DO IT.

Things WILL come up...Wait and install the kit when you have enough money.

"Whatever you think it will cost, double it. You now have about half of what it will cost"
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 70Stang
The best advice I can give you is .... DO NOT DO IT.

Things WILL come up...Wait and install the kit when you have enough money.

"Whatever you think it will cost, double it. You now have about half of what it will cost"
I agree with this advice... FI is EXPENSIVE!!! I'm in about $2500 in a tranny swap (wasn't expecting it) not to mention headers, 60lb injectors, heads, dual valve springs, hp tuners, D1SC 8 rib kit, BMR Trak Pak, BMR transmission crossmember, and some other odds and ends... You do the math and you'll figure out that I haven't even included a rearend and forged bottom end (which is next)... Seriously think about everything you're going to have to get and if you don't have that kinda cash just opt out and do a H/C/Bolt ons... Much cheaper and I think it would suit you better..

Just my .02... Goodluck whichever route you take...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Well, I don't think rearend will be a big problem. If that goes, my dad will probably pay for it. Same with transmission.

On only 5PSI I am not worried about the bottom end...my main concerns are tuning issues(such as another LS1 member had), or the kit just being complete worthless ****.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also I see where you quoted what you were getting it was origionally typed by 2000TurboVert, if you are buying from him I would suggest that you dont do that either. He's had lots of problems delivering...like my crank I bought from him. If not, sorry for the interruption.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

There are rules about engine mods. The first rule is that YOU WILL HAVE UNEXPECTED PROBLEMS. The second rule is that it WILL cost you more money than you thought. The third rule is that you WILL have more downtime than you thought. Forced induction magnifies these rules exponentially. Even if you pay mega bucks to the best shop in the country, there is NO guarantee that everything will go smoothly. However, if you mod on a budget, there IS a guarantee that problems will show up here and there.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have all the upgrades, and its the worse thing ive ever done.
car has not run right for 1yr and 10months since it was sent to the shop.
Im hoping to get it back again this week and hopefully it will finally work for a change

Quick Reply: Regret