LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header Installation... Need Some Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Installation... Need Some Advice...

Well today I ordered my true dual exhaust set-up from Jegs for my 1996 Trans Am. I ordered Pacesetter LT headers, (2) 3" inlet/outlet Dynomax bullets, and a Jeg's 3" x-pipe kit. I plan on putting the headers on this Friday afternoon when I get out of work or Saturday morning. I was just wondering how much of a pain these are to install. Do I install them from above or underneath? How long does it usually take to install headers, and also am I going to run into any problems? I don't know if the headers come with gaskets or anything, I'm just waiting for them to come in (delivery date is 9/20/07). Anyone have any advice for me? My Dad doesn't want me to try and install the headers until we get the F350 back on the road, that way I can drive that until my car gets back on the road considering we run into any problems installing the headers. One more thing, is it okay for me to drive my car around town open headers? I won't be able to have the true dual exhaust set-up welded on until Monday or Tuesday afternoon when the local exhaust shop opens up. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont rush yourself or youll pay in frustration.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Launching!

I just wanna get the headers installed and take the car down to San Antonion Raceway this Saturday night. That is when Midnight Madness is being held. I just bought the car about a month ago so I wanna see what it has. If I take it, I'm going to be running it open heads the whole time.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Teching In

when i did my i tuck the motor mount bolt out on the driver side and jack the motor up as far as you can i put that header from the bottom. the passger side i tuck the valve cover off and i jack that side of the motor up to make sure you put the other motor mount bolt back in on the driver side i put the header frome passger side from the top it was a bit of a bitch but it went
Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

It sounds to me like you should listen to Dad on this one. It's not a job that you want to rush. Unless you are VERY good and have a fully equipped shop with a lift, I would schedule at least a weekend to get it done.

Driving around with open headers is also a bad idea. In addition to the tickets the local PD will give you, the car won't run right because the O2 sensors are so close to the end of the collectors.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Yeah if you have never done it before, I personally wouldn't do it until you have an extra car around. I assume it will take you 10 hours or so. I have mid-lenghts, I put the driver's side in from the top and the passenger side in from the bottom. On the passenger side I had to take the starter and dip-stick tube out. Like I said I have mids so I am not positive it will be the same as you. But the best of luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hear in texas we really dont have to worry about the running of open headers and ruining exhaust valves because we really dont have cold weather, as far as it not running right, it might be a little off, i wouldn't run it at the track like that, at least have someone weld up about 6" of pipe off the collectors to run it like that.

Installation, right side was the worst for me, ended up going in from top with the motor mount disconected and motor jacked up.

Time, took me 2 weeks, i was in school during the day and only got to work on it about 2 hours a night and weekends.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Gunshot -
How experienced are you with cars..cause these are a whole different animal..
Someone like myself or some of the other guys here that have torn these things down a few times can do it in a few hours..might take you alot longer if you haven't had the experience.

I would jack the Engine up, un-bolt the Starter, and now is a good time to get rid of the Emissions crap if you haven't already done so..

Did you get the extra stuff you need, like 02 Sensor Extentions..

Basically it will take you a little bit, it's a nice fun project involving some colorful words and Tools flying around..
Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

It will help your vocabulary thats for sure.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

I wouldnt assume that youll be up and running by Sat night. It took me and a buddy 12 hours to get it done in a shop with a lift on his 1996. The biggest pain in the *** for us was getting the damn dipstick out, and then getting it back in. That right there took 3 or so hours of my time, he was doing the drivers side header while that was going on. Overall 24 man hours invested. Also, if you do it right, youll probably want to do plugs and wires while your down there, so add an hour or 2 for that, or more if your cutting your own (OVTC wires and such). Truthfully, if you want to run on Sat night, do the headers next weekend.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattsz28
..The biggest pain in the *** for us was getting the damn dipstick out, and then getting it back in. That right there took 3 or so hours of my time...
Damn bro..can't stick it in the hole..

J/P
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
Gunshot -
How experienced are you with cars..cause these are a whole different animal..
Someone like myself or some of the other guys here that have torn these things down a few times can do it in a few hours..might take you alot longer if you haven't had the experience.

I would jack the Engine up, un-bolt the Starter, and now is a good time to get rid of the Emissions crap if you haven't already done so..

Did you get the extra stuff you need, like 02 Sensor Extentions..

Basically it will take you a little bit, it's a nice fun project involving some colorful words and Tools flying around..
Well I'm not gonna do it alone, my Dad is going to help me. He has been building Chevy's since he was like 15 so he has alot of experience. I don't know if I'm capable of installing the headers by myself. I installed some long tubes on my Dad's '70 Corvette but it has ALOT more room underneath the hood and it's also a Gen. I so there isn't as much wires everywhere. So I guess I'm just going to wait till next weekend or so to install them. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Launching!

I just got off the phone with the guy who tuned my Trans Am, Corey Henderson from Henderson Performance Tech. He told me that he turned off the rear O2's, the air injection and the egr stuff. He said the car will run fine with the long tubes and the computer should not throw a code or anything and if it does, it will not affect how the car runs. Anything else I should do while I'm installing the headers? I just installed new spark plugs and wires last weekend so I got that part covered!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It isn't easy. You don't have to jack the motor up any. I didn't. But the EGR tube on the pass side makes the install almost impossible. Without the egr its cake to install. I'm glad I deleted mine.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Launching!

I would go ahead and delete mine but I just noticed I ordered the long tubes with the EGR and AIR. Oh well... **** happens!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GunshotZ28
I just wanna get the headers installed and take the car down to San Antonion Raceway this Saturday night. That is when Midnight Madness is being held. I just bought the car about a month ago so I wanna see what it has. If I take it, I'm going to be running it open heads the whole time.
for what its worth... my car ran like *** open headers. Even after i put the 02 sensors back in... seemed like the computer had to adjust to them even though i reset it.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine ran ok today with open headers. It was like a 15 mile trip to the exhaust shop. Good to get the exhaust back on tho.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Yeah but I don't think my car should run too ***'d up with open headers. I mean, I have no AIR or EGR and my rear o2's are turned off so like... it should be the same as having a stock exhaust or something shouldn't it?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just got mine, and after hearing what goes into putting these in im not doing it, no way in hell haha, but it is a good time to replace alot of stuff, because your going to have to take out your spark plugs, and im doing my whole tune up at the same time. water pump doesnt hurt either
Old 09-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

defenintly take your time and take a break. it can get frustrating as stated before. and the oil dipstick tube is no joke either. i had mine break off flush with the block when installing my second set of headers. talk about a delay. might think about some pb blaster for all of your bolts. almost certainly some of the y-pipe bolts will snap but hopefully none of your manifold bolts will. good luck

Quick Reply: Header Installation... Need Some Advice...