General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Done some Reading on Main Rear Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Done some Reading on Main Rear Seal

Hello,

I am curently doing a motor swap and I've read at many places that I should replace the rear main seal on the used motor going into my car. I've hear I can do this w/o taking the rear cover off. All I have to do is stick a screw driver in there and work it out.

Now, I heard if I were to buy this from a GM dealership I would get a plastic tool that would help me install this thing.

Is there any peticular write ups to doing this. I am kind of confused on what to do?

Tilly
Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this the other day. I have the GM manuals so i will just describe how to do it. Get a good size screw driver and hammer. You can try to just pry it out but I think you will find its in there really good. Here is how I did it: take a hammer and a screw driver to the 6 oclock position of the seal and give it a few wacks GOING UP TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE INTAKE. This is very important. DO NOT HAMMER towards the front of the engine. There is a little aluminum lip just behind the seal and if you hammer into it your in trouble. Just get the seal to bend up at the 6 oclock position and pop her out.

Install the new one like so: the plastic piece you get with the seal only keeps the seal round...does nothing to help install it. There is a special GM tool to do that. However, you should have no problem. Use fresh motor oil to lube the OUTSIDE of the seal and push it in evenly as far down as you can. DONT get oil on the inside of the seal. Use a blunt object and a hammer after you've got it down as far as you can and LIGHTLY tap it all the way around to make sure its in there. DONE!!