Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

4x4 racer in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 racer in the UK

Hello

My racer currently has a Gen1 383 and TH350

This winter I am going to change to an LS7. My current engine is now pretty tired and although it would take one more rebore I think it's time to go fuel injection and dry sump. I'm also looking forward to factory reliability, day to day consistancy, more power and that 7000 red line.

At the momment I'm unsure what engine management to use, the options are GM, Big Stuff 3 or Motec. I'm concerened about the throttle getting wet on the GM system, that the BS3 is virtually unknown in the UK and the Motec is very expensive but well supported in the UK.

I'm, going to keep the TH350, it's an uprated manual shift from FB Performance with a Gear Vendors overdrive. I plan to use the Hughes flexplate and adapter and get a new torque converter from FB.

I plan to fabricate brakets and use a UK alternator and an electric waterpump. I don't need a power steering pump as that is electric. Not sure on the starter yet, I have been quoted $423 from the engine supplier, seems a little steep.

That's about it so far!

Steve
Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Launching!

wow! Where in the UK are you at?

-justin
Old 09-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I live near Banbury, North Oxfordshire, but compete all over.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

WELCOME!!

That's pretty cool. It's sort of like our upper midwest off road series. Do they have different classes, so that something like the late , great Colin McRae's rally "buggy" can compete??

From what I've heard, most of the LSx tuners in this country cannot stand the Motec systems (I know that's NOT the case elsewhere in the world, for other engines). The Big Stuff 3 seems to be the most preferred, as well as the most cost effective system.

I'm still waiting for someone to stuff an LS7/ built C5R engine into an RS200! But I know this will be a long wait given the rarity/value/demand of those Group B monsters.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Teching In

The McRae enduro machine is more for long distance International events, it was course car on a UK event and a fair bit slower than the budget homegrown stuff, but the International stuff has to run to higher weights and has engine restrictions.

We have classes based on suspension and engine size, but it does tend to come down to $ or £. If you spend $60,000 tuning a 350z Nissan engine and $20,000 on a sequential gearbox it's going to be quicker than a moderate 383 Chevy and Th350, even though you would be in a lower class.

I paid the deposit on the LS7 today

I'm probably going to go for a modified GM ECU, it seems like the easiest and cheapest route for now.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Oh, I race against an RS200 replica, it has a tuned BMW M3 engine, very impressive.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, they were sick machines. It's a crying shame they did not get to run more Group B WR rounds!! Oh well, at least you "limeys" (J/K!!) got to see them run in (even sicker) evolution 2.2 form in the rallycrosses!!!

The other day they had a "Payback" show on Speed TV featuring Tim Allen. You might know him as partial team owner of the Speedlab Saleen Mustangs which I believe ran internationally in the forerunner to the current Le Mans series. Anyway they were showing his collection, and he had a stock appearing road going version of the RS200. But knowing him, it could have had a full blown 800awhp evolution 2.2 in it!!