General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gas gague

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas gague

my gas gague has been acting up latly. it will say its on E but i know its not, and after i drive for a while it will move to the correct level. is the sending unit gone or a bad connection? any help would be great thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

what year car is it? Mine didn't read anything at all and it ended up being the PCM. I got a new one from online. I went through all of the steps though, reading voltage from the computer to the fuel level sender, reading the ohms in the fuel level sender, even took the damn thing out to read ohms there and see if it wasn't just stuck. that thing is very hard to get stuck so it's probably a wiring problem or your PCM. Can't remember exactly but on mine the 98 camaro, the connector is under the car behind the driver's side back seat. I think the purple and black wires are the ones you want to be readin, mine is 0-250 ohms I think the newer ones is 0-100? The higher the ohms the more gas you have I think? could be wrong. and the voltage should be 2.5DC? Sorry it's been a while and I'm not a home so I'm doing my best. If you know someone with the same PCM just swap it in, you don't need to start up the car but turn the ignition to run and the gauge should jump up. If it's not that start following wires.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

ya its a 99, but it has a cam so finding someone with the same pcm would be hard. anyone else have any ideas?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

not meaning same tune, just one that's compatible, the tune has nothing to do with it. everybody's fuel tune is the same except for those trying to tweak it to get a more accurate reading, it won't have any effect on if your gauge will work or not with it. so in your case it would be anybody with a 99-2002 camaro or trans am would be compatible. just don't start up the car, only turn the ignition to run and your gauge will jump to life, if it does your problem is your pcm, if not you've gotta start diagnosing wires and sensors
Old 09-21-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

sorry i misunderstood you, thanks for the help, ill give that a try.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Mines is acting funny too, it will move up and then slowly go down when the car is in the run position and then after I start the car up the gauge slowly goes back up to where it's supposed to be. Last time the gauge read completely empty (past the red mark) and when I went to fill up, I still had 1 gallon left. Wiring problem?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a little flaky too. As long as it's doing a reasonable job I wouldn't mess with it. I wouldn't let the car get down to only 1 gallon of gas either, you're likely to burn up the pump if you run it dry. 1 gallon in these cars doesn't go very far
Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah I only did it once, gas gauge read completely empty yet I filled up 15.3 gallons out of a 16.8 gallon tank. It started acting up since the beginning of summer.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
My gauge on my 97 is not very linear - When I get down to a 1/4 tanks, I generally take 13 gallons of gas. From 1/2 to 1/4 happens very quickly but from full to 3/4 and 3/4 to 1/2 slow - false reading is my thoughts - bad sending unit.
thanks
Bill