Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Saluting out of uniform

Just some info I ran across, FYI:

Subject: New Law on Saluting the Flag

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Oklahoma) today praised the

passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to

allow veterans and service members not in uniform to salute the flag.

Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and service

members not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without

clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag.

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's

military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members

continue representing the military services even when not in uniform.

Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and

service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation

will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to

salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not. I look forward to

seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades,

and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and

recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in

the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are

currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right, and

their recognition will be an inspiration to others."

This bill was passed July 25, 2007. Let your veteran friends know about the

passage of this bill.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Good to know. I'm glad this was passed. I always feel like I'm back in the first grade when I have to put my hand over my heart instead of saluting the flag.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:10 PM
NKAWTG...N

Hmm...when not in uniform I will still put my hand over my heart. Seems pretty silly to me to be saluting when in civies. What if your in civies without a cover? Still salute?

I think this applies more to the vets that wear a polo shirt with their VFW lodge on it and a garrison cap with medals on it.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont salute or put my hand over my heart when not in uniform nor do i intend to anytime soon.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Hmm...when not in uniform I will still put my hand over my heart. Seems pretty silly to me to be saluting when in civies. What if your in civies without a cover? Still salute?

I think this applies more to the vets that wear a polo shirt with their VFW lodge on it and a garrison cap with medals on it.
Thats kinda what I am thinking....
Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StoleIt

You can salute without cover. The tip of your middle finger comes to the corner of your right eye. If you wear glasses, it comes to the rightmost point of the right lens.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Teching In

I don't need a law to tell me that it's okay to salute the flag or anything else. I'll do what I feel compelled to do. What are they going to do, arrest me for an unauthorized show of patriotism? The whole thing is rediculous.

I will now step down from my soap box. Thank you
Old 09-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Teching In

I'm with pegasus on this one why the hell do you need a law saying i can salute. If i want to i will if i dont want to i wont. I dont need to salute for people to know i'm a marine its pretty obvious if you look at me.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

The law is not saying you "will" salute while not in uniform its saying you can. Personally I think its kind of cool.

Brad 8266 - so you never salute the flag to render proper respect ever? Wow, way to set the example for others to see, specially civilians. If a saw someone just walking around and not giving a **** during the National Anthem (1700) I'd rip there ***.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99WS7
The law is not saying you "will" salute while not in uniform its saying you can. Personally I think its kind of cool.

Brad 8266 - so you never salute the flag to render proper respect ever? Wow, way to set the example for others to see, specially civilians. If a saw someone just walking around and not giving a **** during the National Anthem (1700) I'd rip there ***.
In some no-hat no-salute areas, it is appropriate to stand at attention for the flag or national anthem.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Teching In

i dont know how you guys will take this but here goes:

as Marines we salute all officers, colors, and standards not cased, In uniform,right?. now in cavilian attire we dont salute officers, you may salute colors if you shall choose. no law needs to say you are allowed and not allowed.
no its only obvious im pretty patriotic about our country and if you knew me youd really see. but i do not go around saluting the flag in cavilian attire.

now, the national anthem. we were taught to stand at POA in civilian attire.
but, some where along the line it was changed were you place your hand over your heart.
correct?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
You can salute without cover. The tip of your middle finger comes to the corner of your right eye. If you wear glasses, it comes to the rightmost point of the right lens.
But, that is only "indoors", what if your outdoors?

Salute without cover OUTSIDE (say a baseball game or parade) doesn't make sense.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
In some no-hat no-salute areas, it is appropriate to stand at attention for the flag or national anthem.
Of course I understand that. Maybe its just that way he came across, to me it just sounded like he doesnt have much respect for the colors saying he never does or intend to. Guess I could be wrong...
Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Teching In

It's nice to know the law changed, but I will still stand at the position of attention. 40 years from now when I'm wearing my polo shirt and cap w/my medals from combat, then I'll salute in civies. And I know exactly what you mean by 1700 retreat. I always stop the ones running from the Company to the barracks at 1659. Don't hide, show your pride!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99WS7

I salute the flag during retreat(1700) and such when in uniform only, which is pretty much never now that im a reservist. When i am not in uniform I do not salute anything or anybody.

Last edited by brad8266; 09-24-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Splitz
But, that is only "indoors", what if your outdoors?

Salute without cover OUTSIDE (say a baseball game or parade) doesn't make sense.
This is true, but you would think that the rules would carry over should one choose to salute outdoors.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

It seemed to me at least this law was more pointed toward those who are no longer in service. I know the law includes those still serving but it just feels like the main thought was going out to those who have left. It may sound funny but I ALWAYS feel awkward when I am at a ball game or wherever and they play the National Anthem. Most put thier hand over their heart and I want to slaute cause that is what I am used to.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

I was taught never to salute without a cover. I think this goes for the Marines and Sailors out there. The only time we salute in doors is when we are under arms and we leave our covers on. The Position of Attention when not in uniform is good enough for me.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blacked Out
It seemed to me at least this law was more pointed toward those who are no longer in service. I know the law includes those still serving but it just feels like the main thought was going out to those who have left. It may sound funny but I ALWAYS feel awkward when I am at a ball game or wherever and they play the National Anthem. Most put thier hand over their heart and I want to slaute cause that is what I am used to.
I also feel awkward in those situations, and usually stand at the position of attention. I feel more comfortable about saluting now, though. As veterans or active members of the military, either is a proper way to render respect to a flag that you've served under.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gatman01
I was taught never to salute without a cover. I think this goes for the Marines and Sailors out there. The only time we salute in doors is when we are under arms and we leave our covers on. The Position of Attention when not in uniform is good enough for me.
So i you get a medal or an award presented to you from your commander you dont "shake, take and salute" him?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saluting out of uniform