Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping out the clutch on my ls1 TA

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default swapping out the clutch on my ls1 TA

i'm going back up north to put the clutch in my car and need to bring my own tools... i'm not to sure on what tools i'll be needing to bring so any help would be great... thanks
jeremy
Old 09-21-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't really need anything special. You'll need some really long extensions in order to get to the bolts at the top of the bellhousing. Will you be doing this with a lift?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
You don't really need anything special. You'll need some really long extensions in order to get to the bolts at the top of the bellhousing. Will you be doing this with a lift?
Yeah it will be on a lift so i hope that will help a little bit. i read in the haynes manual to remove the trans from the bellhousing then remove the bell housing. is this how you did it? i imagine once the trans is out its a little easier to get up to the bell housing bolts
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

i left the tranny bolted together when i did it on my lift. let the jack down a little and the engine will lay back in its mounts then you have easy access.

the hardest part is getting the sucker back in up in the air! get strong friends!!!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by uncle ray
i left the tranny bolted together when i did it on my lift. let the jack down a little and the engine will lay back in its mounts then you have easy access.

the hardest part is getting the sucker back in up in the air! get strong friends!!!

I believe i will have a hydrolic jackstand thing to use. will that do the trick? about how long did it take you guys to do the whole project?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

We had to take off the tranny before we could get to the top bolts on the bell housing. My car was on jackstands, though. Long extensions help a lot. The bolts switch from metric to standard and back again, so bring both.

I definitely recommend a jack for the transmission, it makes everything easier and safer. I was really sore after the swap..

It took us about 10 hours to do it all. But that was with a really long time trying to figure out how to get to the top 3 bolts on the bellhousing... We finally figured out we had to take off the trans first. After that, it went pretty quick. We took a lot of breaks, too.

You might want to change the slave cylinder too, while the transmission's down, so you don't have to drop it again when the slave goes out.

Also, make sure all the wires clear when you put it back on.. We didn't check well enough and my driver side 02s, CAGS, and reverse lockout wires are pinched, so I have the SES light on and I'm blowing the "ENG SENS" fuse constantly.. Runs fine though.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
We had to take off the tranny before we could get to the top bolts on the bell housing. My car was on jackstands, though. Long extensions help a lot. The bolts switch from metric to standard and back again, so bring both.

I definitely recommend a jack for the transmission, it makes everything easier and safer. I was really sore after the swap..

It took us about 10 hours to do it all. But that was with a really long time trying to figure out how to get to the top 3 bolts on the bellhousing... We finally figured out we had to take off the trans first. After that, it went pretty quick. We took a lot of breaks, too.

You might want to change the slave cylinder too, while the transmission's down, so you don't have to drop it again when the slave goes out.

Also, make sure all the wires clear when you put it back on.. We didn't check well enough and my driver side 02s, CAGS, and reverse lockout wires are pinched, so I have the SES light on and I'm blowing the "ENG SENS" fuse constantly.. Runs fine though.
alright so plan on ten hours got it lol. hopefully taking it apart piece by piece it won't weigh as much i'm only gonna have one guy and girl there for help. anything else i need to be aware of as far as things you guys ran into in the past
Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm

This link helped us a lot. It covers pretty much everything. Good luck