Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter gap to flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter gap to flywheel

I have a set of second edition GM service manuals for my 98 camaro. No where in the installation of the transmission/verter does it ever give a gap tolerance. In some documentation I received with my tranny, it states that it is imperative that the gap between the verter pads and flywheel be between 1/8 and 3/16....if larger, equal thickness washers of the correct size must be used to bring the gap within this tolerance.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?? I just installed my converter and the gap was definatly larger than 1/8....I'm wondering if I need to remove the bolts and add a washer to bring it closer to these specs.

Any help appreciated
Old 09-21-2007, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The goal is to have the converter properly spaced into the pump. You do not want it bottomed out in the pump though.

The 1/8" to 3/16"spec you referenced is correct.

Push the converter into the pump, measure the distance, if you need to shim it just take some washers and measure them to ensure that they are dang close to the same size and then install them between the converter and flexplate in order to obtain the correct tolerance. Piece of cake.

Incorrect spacing of the converter can lead to a cracked fllexplate or a failed pump.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I've just never read that before on these forums and since everyone seems to be converter happy might be a good thing to know

Quick Reply: torque converter gap to flywheel