General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is it bad to drive with the knock sensors bad?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it bad to drive with the knock sensors bad?

they have been out for a while but my engine does not knock....it will knock on anything but premium. I have only ran premium in it since i heard the knock...i just havent had the money to fix it until now.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why the hell were you running anything less then premium? lol. And because you werent using premium, im assuming you were getting whatever the cheapest stuff around was.

NO wonder it was pinging!

Ive heard the seafoam stuff CAN help with pinging. Might be a cheap way to clean the system. And for God sake, use premium! Yeah it sucks a little now, but you be thankful later.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
why the hell were you running anything less then premium? lol. And because you werent using premium, im assuming you were getting whatever the cheapest stuff around was.

NO wonder it was pinging!

Ive heard the seafoam stuff CAN help with pinging. Might be a cheap way to clean the system. And for God sake, use premium! Yeah it sucks a little now, but you be thankful later.
lol...wow! this was before i knew anything about these cars. I was use to a 6cyl engine that would run on anything. I have only ran premium in it since i found out thats was alot of problem....but you still didnt answer my question.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess i didnt understand the question... 'is it bad to drive with the knock sensors bad?'

So the knock sensor is bad... or are you asking if its bad to drive with the knock sensor code?

added-------

ok... got it... read your other post.

I dont think it will hurt anything... IF its not pinging. But personally i would replace them in a heart beat. Your sure they are bad, and not catching pings? If you ran on the codes for a long time, you might want to disconnect your battery and re-set the codes (or have someone eliminate all old codes). If they come back up, its either still pinging or they are bad. You can even take it down to autozone and have them see how current the codes are.

Last edited by xxrillixx; 09-22-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Veteran

You could just throw some octane booster in there each fill up untill you fix it. Winter's colder weather is coming and mods could mean you have too much timing. More air/fuel -->> less timing needed.

If you hear chatter just get off the throttle besides using some octane booster. This is one of those things where percaution and awareness = prevention but there isn't any "fire" to be worried about.

Low power motors can ping all their life. High horse V8s are a little different.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Launching!

well i got the codes check the other day and its both knock sensors low voltage. I have already had the codes reset. I got a set of knock sensors coming so i will find out soon. thanks
Old 09-22-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Low voltage? Might not be a bad idea to check the knock sensor harness with a multimeter, also. Just to ensure the wires aren't shorting out.

Search this Thread