General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need some help with a/c leak.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need some help with a/c leak.

I have a leak from where the pre-bent high pressure line goes into the front radiator and bolts on. I was replacing my batter box and bent the line a little too much and I heard the line start to hiss. I didn't move the line that much, but I guess it was enough to cause a leak.

I tried unbolting the line and straightening it a little and rebolting it back up, then tried to charge the system, but it instantly started to hiss. My brother is a commercial HVAC tech and seemed to think that the washer was probably a one time use compression washer, hence I would need a new one. Can anyone confirm this? I'd rather buy a new washer than a whole new pre-bent line, which is probably going to be a stealership item.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i wouldnt chance it. replace the line. thats the high side of the system and pressures reach around an average of 220 PSIG. R134 gets expensive. and when you have it recharged, take it to an A/C shop where they have the proper equipment. i have seen too many instances where people have used the 1lb cans and totally overcharged the system.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

You're probably right... I'll start calling around to see how much that line costs to replace.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can wait a few days, im going to start tearing my A/C off tomorrow. ill sell you mine.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I have a leak from where the pre-bent high pressure line goes into the front radiator and bolts on.

My brother is a commercial HVAC tech and seemed to think that the washer was probably a one time use compression washer, hence I would need a new one. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks.
I'm an HVAC/R tech also.

That line on my car rubbed against the A.I.R checkvalve off the ex manifold and wore a hole in it.

The line cost me $40 from GM, it comes with the pressure switch and for some reason only one washer the one near the firewall. The guy showed me the diagram and it lists the same part number for both washers so I ordered another washer.
Well the washer on the condenser side has a larger inside diameter. I ended up reusing the old one and it doesn't leak.

I would recommend when you order it to confirm that the two washers have different part numbers.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'll pick up the washer tomorrow and see if that will seal it, if not, I'll order the new line.