Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dying leather? (Seats)

Old 09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dying leather? (Seats)

well got some perfect condition front seats coming but they are that grey color the rest of my interior is charcoal/black I know dying isnt rocket science but i was wondering if anyone here had done it with good results and wheres a good place to get the stuff that won't mess up automotive seats
Old 09-23-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a paint that is designed to dye vinyl, fiber, and carpet. They sell it at almost any auto parts store. I used a can to change color of sunvisors a while back for my 1975 camaro, I bought those visors in tan and changed them to black. That paint does work, but you got to give it some time to set, at least a day and you should be good to go. I would be concerned about the seats since there will be frequent rubbing and contact with them. My sunvisors still look as if they were originally black, but theres not that much rubbing or use on them.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
There is a paint that is designed to dye vinyl, fiber, and carpet. They sell it at almost any auto parts store. I used a can to change color of sunvisors a while back for my 1975 camaro, I bought those visors in tan and changed them to black. That paint does work, but you got to give it some time to set, at least a day and you should be good to go. I would be concerned about the seats since there will be frequent rubbing and contact with them. My sunvisors still look as if they were originally black, but theres not that much rubbing or use on them.
ya i was reading up i saw the paint is great and looks great BUT it rubs off on clothes and goes away after time and will even start to peel off... from what i read dying will change the leather forever (what I want)

here's the seats I won on ebay

just trying to get them to that ebony/charcoal color probably just paint the plastic pieces black
Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 PM
ggk
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can actually do it the right way and strip the leather down and have the leather absorb the color with a soak in dye. look around.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previous ownerd dyed mine and now they are half black half tan. The paint sticks to me when I work on it or if its a hot day. I think if you do your research and do your prep work really good you'll be ok. Otherwise you might end up with crappy results like mine.

Search this Thread