General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear passenger side exhaust rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear passenger side exhaust rattle

I am having an issue with my hooker catback. The cat back was just put on and now, once the car is warmed up and iam driving, under slow acceleration or if I let of the gas and let the car idle down, I can hear a rattle/jingle noise coming from the rear passenger side of the car, underneath from the exhaust. You can also hear it from the outside. I can't re-create this sound when the car is off, but when its warmed up after driving it and I leave it running, I can hit any part of the tailpipe, or muffler and re-create that sound. I had it at 2 muffler shops and no one can figure this out, and there is nothing that is touching and the heat shields are fine. My cats also checked out perfect.
Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to make sure everything is tight with your jack/spare tire. It's pretty close to the area you're having trouble with.

If this just happened since the catback was put on then it may be the catback. I was getting a little noise from my magnaflow and didn't realize until I was under there changing the diff oil. In my situation it was touching every once in a while where the pipe goes over the axle.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Hooker cat-back does the EXACT same thing. The problem for me is where the i-pipe goes over the axle it is very close to the frame. I also cannot reproduce the sound hitting different parts of the exhaust while under it. But I jammed a piece of coolant hose between the frame and pipe and it goes away ... until of course the exhaust eats through the hose. I am working on a more permanent solution for it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Rear passenger side exhaust rattle