Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock Carrier question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Carrier question

I just bought a low milage rear end out of a six speed Z28 with a 3.42 gear. 27K miles GU6 RPO code. I am used to the Auburns where you spine one side and the other should spin in the same direction. This one does not. I spin one side and the other side goes in the oppisite direction while the pinion does not move. Is this thing broken, or is it just a different style carrier that does not act the same as a Posi?

I just want to know if I will have the 1 wheel peel, or will it light them both up in the burnout box.

Thank you
Old 09-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G80 is the code for a limited slip.
It sounds like a Torsen, unless someone swapped an open diff in it.
If the rear is out of the car why not take the ten bolts out and look at it? If you prop it up with the pinion pointing down you don't even have to drain the fluid.
Any reply you get here is a guess. But I do know of a 2001 Z28 in a junkyard with a Torsen.

The Auburns are cone clutch type differentials with preload springs.
Torsens are torque biasing meaning if one tire gets 0% traction the other gets 0%. They work well for straight line traction, other than strength.