LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

header install q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default header install q's

Me and a buddy spent 7 hours installing a set of BBK shorty headers onto his LT1 trans am. After we had everything buttoned down and fired it up I an exhaust leak on both sides. I upgraded and used the MR Gasket copper header gaskets and torqued them down as tight as I dared to go on those cheesy little bolts that BBK supplied me with. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem and has any input on what my next plan of attack should be for clearing up this exhaust problem.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

you may have them to tight, causing gaps to form between the header flange/gasket/head.
There should be torque specs on their website. thats where i would start.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I don't think there is any way I could have overtorqued them with a 3/8 box end wrench which happens to be the only thing that fits in there and also I noticed that there are two extra bolt holoes on each side and BBK supplied enough bolts to go in all of the holes am I supposed to utilize 8 bolts per side when factory only had 6???
Old 09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

well we put in the other 4 bolts and it seemed to help some, but it still leaks. What is kinda strange is after the engine warms up, it seemed to quiet down a bit. There isn't, like, some sort of wear in time or anything like that is there? The coating has burned off, so there is a little time on them but.... I don't know. Guess we'll just keep F'en with it.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The last bolt holes help to line the gaskets up if your gasket has the hooks at the end.

Maybe your flange is warped?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:57 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
you may have them to tight, causing gaps to form between the header flange/gasket/head.
There should be torque specs on their website. thats where i would start.
The flange is to thick with BBKs for this to happen, especially with a alum. head.

My BBKs sealed fine, i used the percys carbon fiber gaskets and they were just great, i have used the copper gaskets on my older 3rd gens and some lead a c hair but others seal fine. If you do leak a bit on my older f cars then it doesnt bother me due to the cam in the car being louder than the leak, but that is because the leak is verry verry small.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

ok well here is the deal, I backed off my headers and retorqued, changed the gasket in the drivers side cat, I had to cut 1 inch off of my y pipe because i did not cut enough off the first time and it was putting a lot of tension on my exhaust system. I still have a leak on the passengers side where I nedd to weld the pipe together because BBK supplied me with a POS band clamp and it needs to clamp on a bend so that wouldn't work anyways. The only problem I think I have now is it feels like I have lost power and it seems to misfire under load. I am going to change my wires in case I damaged one during the install but other than that does anyone have any input as to why it would run like **** now. Would the lasck of backpressure to one side make a difference???

Quick Reply: header install q's