Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a pic of their belt routing without powersteering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a pic of their belt routing without powersteering?

I wont be using power steering for my RX7 (manual rack/2600lbs car) and im trying to figure out how im going to route the belt without the powersteering setup on the engine. Anyone have any pics of their cars with PS deleted with the alt in the stock location?? Also wont be using A/C(just thought id add that in even though I know its on a separate belt.)
Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

search under mattD
Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

for what?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

From another member in a post a couple down from yours:

I have your answer. First let me say that I can see people have different ideas on this subject. I have heard there is some gains to be had and on the other hand people have said there are no gains and that the belt is hard to put on. I listed before a gates belt with the part number that I got from a artical on a 1999 Camaro and that I bought the belt and couldn't get it on. Well the belt was to short so I went to Napa auto parts and got a Micro-v PN 060523. The price was around 15 bucks. I put the belt on in less then 10 minutes. Thats right less then 10 minutes. Now that I know how to put it on it will take about 5 minutes. Here is how you do it. First take your belt off then remove the drivers side idler pully,then remove the lower alternator bolt. Now run the belt over the tentioner roller,then under the water pump pully straight to the alternator, go around the alternator over the the crank pully and back up to the tentioner rollar. Its very easy. I'm going to route 66 on Tuesday and try it out. If there is no gain I will let you know. I hope I answered your question. If you need to talk to me let me know and I will walk you through it.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
From another member in a post a couple down from yours:
Does he mean UNDER the balancer? If thats the case I can see it working.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

I would assume that the belt would have to go under the crank pulley as the belt ribs are on that side. If it went over the crank pulley, the belt would not grip the pulley - especially since it would then have the flat side of the belt against the ribs of the pulley.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yes it means under the balancer. My mistake, sorry. It does work. Weather or not there is anything to gain I still don't know. I went to the track last Tuesday and it rained out. I'll get to try it sooner or later.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heat Treat Pete
Yes it means under the balancer. My mistake, sorry. It does work. Weather or not there is anything to gain I still don't know. I went to the track last Tuesday and it rained out. I'll get to try it sooner or later.
Well im not looking to gain any HP..im just going to be running a manual rack on my RX7 so I wanted to figure out how I was going to make that happen.