Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Swap

I have tried the Search Option and cannot find the answer to this question. Has anyone done a swap from LS1 to LS6 in a Fourth Gen F-Body?('99 Z) I have a chance to buy an LS6 crate motor at a reasonable price and my LS1 is geting to the point as far as mileage (141,000) goes its time to spend some cash. I think it will be a simple bolt in as the reluctor wheel is the same and all sensors are also. I think I will have to delete the EGR and AIR and reflash the ECM as the LS6 makes its power a little higher so the rev limiter will have to be reset. If anyone has anything constructive to add I sure as Hell would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I were you, I would spend some cash on REAL performance. The only REAL difference between LS1 and LS6 is : heads, cam, and bay windows in the crankcase.

Spend your money wisely, but I would just swap out the heads, cam, and maybe the intake on some real power. Our little LS1s have some real potential, even at high miles. There's a guy that hangs out in the appearance section with over 250,000 miles. Aint no thang....

But if the price is right on that LS6, GO FOR IT!

All I'm saying is, look around at all your options.

EDIT- and yes, the LS6 really will bolt right in. A reflash would be all you need.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

I'm located in IN as well and may be interested in the LS6 motor if you change your plans....

But I agree with the above poster. Depending upon how much preformance you want, the money could be better spent elsewhere, ie h/c/i/e and freshening the rest of the motor.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I did the LS6 swap about 3 years ago and I did a write-up on it. Check out the link in my sig to take a look: www.banddirector.cz28.com