Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping a 6.0 into my TA

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapping a 6.0 into my TA

I have a 98 TA that I just bought a 6.0 out of a truck to put in my car. Can anyone tell me what all is involved in making this switch? I know the oil pan is different. Can I use the front accessories or do I have to switch to the F Body accessories and brackets? I know I can't run the intake on my car either. What about coil harness, sensors, knock sensors, and the fuel rails and all. I plan on just putting the stock 6.0 in my car for the time being to play around with. I bought it at a deal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Use everything off the car motor on the truck motor and haul ***. Be sure to tune the pcm.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Why do you have to tune the pcm? What all will I have to use off a car motor to make the 6.0 work? Intake, TB, coils, oil pan, etc?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

the 6.0 from the truck uses the same heads and block as the LS2, pick up an LS2 intake and 90mm throttle body or FAST (preferably LS2 get it off the GTO boards, there is one for $150 right now). All the coils should be the same, the fuel rail MAY be different since the Intake mani is different....tune the PCM because the truck is detuned from the normal car tune plus te truck intake mani is super restrictive. I think if you look ont he GTO forums, you could get stuff for cheap, cuz all you want is stock LS2 stuff.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Just use the truck long block and everything from your motor including the oilpan. Then have someone do a custom tune for you if you are stock. No reason to spend a bunch of extra money unless you have it to do. If you want to simply make it run do the above and you will fine. Been there done that. The heads and the block from an ls2 are different. The ls2 is an aluminum block. The upper intake is interchangeable if you want to go that route. Did you get an lq4 or 9. The nine was available in escalades and denalis. The lq4 is a very potent package with the right parts. If you are on a budget an ls6 cam and springs can be had for cheap and is a good improvement over the truck cam. You are halfway there since you have to swap the pan anyway;s
Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

....^ roger...i thought he was talking about the LS2 from the silverado SS....i believe that is the same block and heads but with a truck intake mani....never knew you meant LQ4/9
Old 09-25-2007, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

The 6.0 is out of a 2002 3/4 ton ex. cab truck. I know I have to swap the intake and oil pan. The coil pack harness and fuel rails, i'm not sure of yet (not sure if they have the same connections or not). Can anyone tell me what lb. injectors the 6.0's have? I also thought of swapping in a stock 5.7 cam (from an F Body) and putting 5.3 or 5.7 headson it. I know the 6.0's have larger chambers creating lower compression. The front accessories are a concern also. The alternator and power steering pump are on the same side but backwards from the cars. Can I still use these or do I just need to get the car brackets and accessories (I have no accessories of brackets from the car). What is a good GTO forum to get on and get some stock parts? Thanks for the help guys.