Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Where (other than U-Haul) to rent a trailer to tow my car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where (other than U-Haul) to rent a trailer to tow my car?

I have an Explorer and U-Haul, in their infinite ignorance, still refuses to allow an Explorer to pull any of their trailers.

I have only ever rented from them in the past (when using other vehicles, obviously).

What companies (preferably northeast side of Atlanta) are recommended/to be avoided?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Budget?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

FYI, the Budget Trailers are tall as ****, F Bods do not easily load/unload with them. The U-Hauls ar ethe way to go..And they're right, I wouldn't tow a car with an Explorer, either.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
The U-Hauls ar ethe way to go..And they're right, I wouldn't tow a car with an Explorer, either.

Why not?

BTW: You know how the Mercurty Mountaineer is the exact same vehicle as the Explorer? They have no problem having you tow with that.

Also, read what I said again. They don't let an Explorer tow ANY TRAILER they have. You can put it behind a freaking car, or an Escape, but not an Explorer (assuming weight is low enough for the smaller vehicles).

My Explorer came with a factory Class III hitch rated for a maximum of 7,000 pounds. I know of plenty of people that tow regularly with them and have no problems.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Oh, it'll pull it fine...Horsepower isn't the issue. Stability, braking, and maneuvering it is the concern. And A Mountaineer won't do it either, and for damn sure an Escape won't.
That's bogus on any trailer, some of their small enclosed trailers can easily be carried by an Explorer safely. You might call another U-Haul dealer. Find some hillbilly jackass who rent's 'em out of his furniture store or something and I'll bet he'll let you out with one. Or, better yet, find a friend with a full size truck or SUV and have him go pick the trailer up, then swap it behind your truck for the haul.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Yes, the find a small ma and pa U-Haul place has been listed as the best option. They are franchized, after all.

I do have a buddy who lives right near me with a Grand Cherokee...

I think I will simply get my fiance to call in sick and drive two vehicles there/one back (selling the Z28). It will be cheaper than the trailer.

Then when I buy another sports/muscle car (should be within 3 years) I will simply buy my own damn trailer

Quick Reply: Where (other than U-Haul) to rent a trailer to tow my car?