General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ANNOYING SQUEAK!! Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANNOYING SQUEAK!! Please help!!

Ok so I have replaced the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley on my LS1 Camaro and this squeak will NOT go away. When I replaced the serp belt it went away.. but a week later it came back (after the belt stretched out I guess) So I have got to fix it.. but what else could it be. It sounds like metal on metal type of squeak. It varies with RPM… it’s horrible!!!! I know it’s a pulley just because of how it went away when I replaced the belt. I am sick of buying parts thinking it will fix it… and then it does nothing.

What should I do?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a long screwdriver or a rod. With the engine running, go around and CAREFULLY put it up against near the mounting points of the pulleys (like on the housing of the alternator or power steering pump, etc) then put your ear up against it. It can help locate the noisy one. I did that to find out which of my pulleys was grinding and found it was just the idler. All the others just had this whirring sound through the rod but the bad pulley sounded like a loud crunching in the rod lol.

But again, be CAREFUL, you don't want it to slip into the belt or pulleys or whatever
Old 09-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been here, done that, replaced everything.

Get a goodyear gatorback belt, it will fix it, $20 bucks. It has 45 degree cuts which stop the noise if anything is mis-aligned (Which it is there is a TSB for it).