Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS1 Tech, Converted Ford Guy

Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1 Tech, Converted Ford Guy

I just picked up my first LS car ever. Ive had 6 Mustangs over the last 10 years and thought I would try something new. I found a silver 05 GTO with the 6spd manual. I have no idea where to start on modifying this LS2. What are some good starter upgrades.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

exhaust is always and usually the first starting point! then cam,heads,gears, and maybe nitrous follow along? welcome and congrats!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

congrats i test drove some goats too, there great cars i just always wanted a 4th gen camaro i was going to get a gto cause finding a clean camaro was hard to do but it finally happend. i came over from owning a mustang also had a 04 v6 and still have a 88 5.0 with t-tops... good luck with the car and thow a exhaust on there for sure
Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 PM
High on diesel fumes

Intake, long tubes, catless midpipes, cat-back, and a custom tune would be a good starting point.....then either FI and cam or heads and cam, depending on the way you want to head with it. Or FI, heads, and cam
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. Forgive me but what is FI? I noticed that you have a gmm ripper shifter. Are you happy with this part? I hate the stock row yer boat shifter that I have now. Where did you get it and how much should I pay for it. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

FI = Forced Induction (Turbo, Supercharge)

I would begin w/ exhaust. First mod i did was new air lid though. Not really sure about the new GTOs though and whether or not they have the restrictive airbox lid that the Camaro/TransAm had.

Welcome to the wonderful world of LS. You're going to like it.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

I would get an Intake, Full exhaust, and through some 4.10s on her. Then take a step to see where you want to get next (Heads, cam, FI, or All three).
Old 09-28-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

While all of this is good advice....you need to make yourself a goal....if you want to keep it a street car...cater your mods as such.

I.E. Drag Radias suck in the rain and wear out quckly, so if you drive 100 miles a day...you'd bee buying alot of tires.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by OH5GTOLS2
Thanks for the reply. Forgive me but what is FI? I noticed that you have a gmm ripper shifter. Are you happy with this part? I hate the stock row yer boat shifter that I have now. Where did you get it and how much should I pay for it. Thanks for the info.

I really like it. About a week after I put it in, I drove a buddy's 04 GTO with the stock shifter and it felt really sloppy.

GMM, Billet, and Hurst seem to be the popular ones. Hurst is the newest on the market, and I've read mostly good things about them. I love my GMM. I've heard that the Billet shifters have crazy short throws, and I have heard a lot of good things about them too.

There are two versions of the GMM Ripshift. I have the street version, which has some additional vibration damping I think, and is a little more expensive. The other type is the race version. Expect to pay about $300-335 for the street, a little less for the race. I got mine from another member over on ls1gto.com, but if you want a new one you have to get them from JHP over in Australia. jhp.com.au
Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the info. My car come to find out came with a Diablo sport programmer in the trunk and flowmaster "Hushpower" mufflers. (I'm still trying to find out what hushpower stands for and if they are a good modification). The car looks like it had an X style crossover placed in the exhaust right after the factory cats. Im not sure if these are good mods or not. Any info would help with this. Ive never used a programmer before. Is this a good mod or should I have the car dyno tuned. Im hoping to get a car that has 500 rwhp. I want to keep the stock gear ratio for mileage because im driving it approximately 75 miles a day. Thanks for the info. Brent

Search this Thread