Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Honda ATF put in

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ATF put in

I heard the good stuff about the Honda ATF and decided to put it in. I never heard anything bad but people don't want foreign fluid in their trannys. I got the Castrol version of the Honda ATF. On the back of the bottle it says meets requirements for Honda Zrl1 and some other Honda and Toyota fluids. Also states that it meets all requirements of all GM Dex III ATF fluids and exceeds. Never wondered if the fluid would come out fast. Well it did! I unscrewed the drain plug and the fluid gushed out like a gallon of milk all over the cement. Anyway, I tried the siphon technique but it was a PITA. It took me 5 minutes to take the 4 bolts out the center console and the 8 bolts holding the rubber boot in place. Then there are 4 bolts on the shifter, on top the transmission. I removed them and put the 4 quarts in. I spilled some of 1st quart so 4 was good. I am postive all the old fluid was out.
The car does shift ALOT smoother through the gears but not going into gears. Say from 1st to 2nd it is smoother until you hit the gate for the next gear. I don't know if it's from new fluid or better fluid. The old fluid did not look degraded and it was a slightly lighter shade than the Honda fluid. I will use it again.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a step backwards I believe. I tried getting some synchromesh fluid for a truck I had that called for it and the dealer was out. He told me to try the Honda dealership down the road because they just bought the last three cases he had. He said they put it in some of the higher mileage honda cars that aren't shifting very well.

Quick Reply: Honda ATF put in