General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vacume leak?And some other questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacume leak?And some other questions

I did long tube race headers and deleted EGR and I got a freeze plug from Advanced to plug the whole and it sounds like there is a leak from around the same spot But the plug is in there good wondering if anything around teh TB is known to leak. Or does it just whistle from around there? My Idle is rough not horrible but I can feel it. So im thinking its a vacume leak. Also how to you check coil packs to make sure there full performance. finally what is the stock ride height on a 2000 z28 and where do you measure it from
Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Launching!

To find a vacuum leak grab a can of carb cleaner, and make sure it is flammable. Start the car up and let it idle. Spray small bursts around hoses that you think are suspect of leaking. After spraying for a second, listen to the rev's of the car. If it jumps up a hundred RPM's or so, you know there is a leak there. Kepp going around the engine bay tracing the noise. Spray all the way around the throttle body too as the gasket may have went bad.

As for the coil packs, the only way I can think of testing them is by hooking up a scope to the crank sensor and monitoring the pulses coming from it making sure you are firing all your cylinders all the time. This is basically the same process the computer naturally does to determine if you have a misfire. Now a scope isnt exactly home in everyones tool box, so most likely you will have to go another route.

As far as the ride height, you might want to post that in the suspension forum.

-Jeff
Old 09-27-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

AWsome thanks alot man I found my vaccume leak its a TINY TINY hole in a hose that goes from the bottom left of my intake manifold to the left about 4 inchs and back along the passenger side of my intake manifold and connects along it where the cylinders are around.