General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What's up with my gas tank?

Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's up with my gas tank?

Well first of all when I fill my tank up completely full, (and im sure its full), the fuel gauge does not go up to F. It just goes between 3/4 and the F mark.

Also when I go to fill my tank up, I pull up the trigger and let down the deal so it will fill up itself, you know. Well I have to stand there and keep doing it because it shuts off all the time and the tank isn't even close to full. So I have to keep doing that until gas starts to spew back at me to make sure it's full. It does this at any gas station.

I should also add that (not sure if this is normal), when I come to a stop or slow down, the gauge needle goes torward empty, and when I accelerate, it goes up towards full.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Spiers; 09-27-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For the first problem, it could be the sending unit is going out on you.

For the second problem, you might have some blockage somewhere. Not sure what it could be but that is the only thing I can think of that would cause the back pressure to shut off the pump.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Try not stuffing the pump ALL the way into the tank, With my truck i need to keep it out about a 1/2" or so otherwise it does the same thing. And when i am putting 33 gals of gas into my truck it gets VERY annoying when it shuts off. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should also add that (not sure if this is normal), when I come to a stop or slow down, the gauge needle goes torward empty, and when I accelerate, it goes up towards full.

Search this Thread