Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best muffler to add to a I pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best muffler to add to a I pipe?

I have AR LT headers, catted Y, and a GMMG catback. It sounds awesome, but I think I might like to tone it down slightly without losing much HP. I'd like to stay with stainless. I was thinking of maybe getting another chambered muffler for the I. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Magnaflow bullet.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no debate about a spiral flow muffler still having good flow and taming down the noise. I run the Flow Pro Twisters and they work a wonder on a 244/248 cam.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hammerhead
I have AR LT headers, catted Y, and a GMMG catback. It sounds awesome, but I think I might like to tone it down slightly without losing much HP. I'd like to stay with stainless. I was thinking of maybe getting another chambered muffler for the I. Any suggestions? Thanks
I had the same issue, except I have an ORY. I went with the stainless magnaflow bullet from Summit. Looks great and is only 4" outside diameter. It deepened it a little and helped with the rasp. I almost wish I had gotten something with a little more muffling ability. You may want to look at the Borla bullet, of course since you have cats the magnaflow may be perfect with your setup. The local magnaflow dealer told me that mine will continually get deeper and clean up the rasp more as the packing in the bullet shifts to the rear of the housing. We'll see......Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want another chambered muffler, go with a Powerstick. It sounds very close to GMMG, but flows a little better. The chambered parts of the Powerstick stays 3", it doesnt neck down to 2 1/2" like the GMMG does. I have one on my car now, I love it.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning toward one of the shorter 3" diameter Magnaflow bullets from Summit. After reading the info on the Magnaflow site, I don't think I want to put another chambered muffler in the I that could cause more turbulence. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Okay, so Summit has 20" long bullets in 4,5, and 6" diameters. I'm going to jack up the car and see how big of a diameter will fit. I'm assuming a larger diameter is going to be quieter.? How about flow? Any suggestions on where I should I have it mounted- toward the engine or toward the catback? Thx
Old 09-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
There is no debate about a spiral flow muffler still having good flow and taming down the noise. I run the Flow Pro Twisters and they work a wonder on a 244/248 cam.
where did you get these? and how much?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:21 PM
9 Second Club

Borla XR1!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay, so Summit has 20" long bullets in 4,5, and 6" diameters. I'm going to jack up the car and see how big of a diameter will fit. I'm assuming a larger diameter is going to be quieter.? How about flow? Any suggestions on where I should I have it mounted- toward the engine or toward the catback? Thx
I went with the 4" for fitment. You could probably get a 5" but that'll be the limit. Flow is straight through. If you do a search on here you'll find one thread where a guy has a pic of the inside. It's wide open with a perforated core and a little packing (i believe ceramic) inside. They mounted mine towards the y-pipe. It'll be obvious where it should go once you get under there. There's a perfect spot where clearance is really good. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Well, I got my Magnaflow bullet today & it looks great. I've been having second thoughts though. I like the way it sounds now, it's just slightly on the loud side. Adding the bullet isn't going to quiet it down too much is it??
Old 10-05-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I got my Magnaflow bullet today & it looks great. I've been having second thoughts though. I like the way it sounds now, it's just slightly on the loud side. Adding the bullet isn't going to quiet it down too much is it??
absolutely not!!! trust me on this one as i trusted you on the ARH product. i mean, look at the core, it's wide open...all it did for mine was refine it and deepen it. it's still loud as @$*%!!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Thanks Deputy. That's what I needed to hear. Yea, it definitely is straight-through!