New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manifold replacement

Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold replacement

Finally, after many turns, my parcel with cool parts for my SS Camaro arrived today from the US (i live in Sweden remember).

One of the insanely cool parts is my brand new and shiny chrome intake manifold. Now i think i have a quite good idea of what i'm doing here... but would still be nice with some pointers from ppl more experienced in LS1's on what i should take care to NOT do and what i SHOULD do when replacing the stock manifold.

Have some garagetime on my hands now, so i thought i'd get it up and running while it's still fresh and smells new

By the way - I love the excitement of unwrapping new car parts. Never goes away...
Old 09-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Launching!

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

make sure not to let the power brake booster vacumme line snag the oil sending unit. i broke mine and it was a bitch to replacewith the manifold in place..good luck, it was pretty straght forward took me about 3 hrs in total and i had to run out to get a few things
Old 09-29-2007, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by scites
make sure not to let the power brake booster vacumme line snag the oil sending unit. i broke mine and it was a bitch to replacewith the manifold in place..good luck, it was pretty straght forward took me about 3 hrs in total and i had to run out to get a few things
Thanks for the heads up. It was quite tight. I got it istalled and running in about 2,5 hours.

Thanks guys.

Do i need to change the PCM program now after these modifications to the engine? It's a tuning manifold after all...

And i might as well hi-jack this thread to ask about airbags... I'm at the garage now trying to install an aftermarket Nascar steering wheel. I believe i've found the drivers side airbag connector (below the steering coloumn frame, right?) and disconnected everything. Do i need to disconnect the passenger side as well for this mod? If so, where is it located?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scites
what were the few things you had to run out to get?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Beer and chips and band-aids if hes like me.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Der_Richter
Do i need to change the PCM program now after these modifications to the engine?
You never said what other parts you had, just the intake. The car will run with the new intake, but to max power gains with it you'll need a good tune. If you plan on any other mods in the near future, I'd wait until you're done for a with them to get a tune.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by jag42420
You never said what other parts you had, just the intake. The car will run with the new intake, but to max power gains with it you'll need a good tune. If you plan on any other mods in the near future, I'd wait until you're done for a with them to get a tune.

Well i've got the SLP air lid and a K&N filterkit. Modified exhaust with headers and LoudMouth. This was ordered from SLP as an extra option when car was sold i believe.

Then the new manifold on top of that... Do i need to get a PCM tune?

And can something be done to the way the auto shifts without installing turbine or other parts? Perhaps in software?

And while i'm writing... As i have already asked. PLEASE tell me if it is necessary to remove the passenger side airbag system as well, if i am going to install an aftermarket steering wheel? Don't want an airbag blowing up in my face when working on the car.

On that subject... What's the resistance af the SIR unit? So i can terminate the plugs and avoid getting the light all the time after removing the airbag.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you'll prolly get a good 10-20 rwhp out of a tune, and your car will run a lot better. i would recommend it.

i know nothin about airbags
Old 09-30-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
you'll prolly get a good 10-20 rwhp out of a tune, and your car will run a lot better. i would recommend it.

i know nothin about airbags

Thanks for advice. I found two companies here in Sweden with knowledge about the Camaro PCM. I'll get that tune-up next month.

And for the airbag... i figured this one out myself. I measured a blown airbag unit a friend had sitting in the garage (never measure or tap into a "live" unit ofcourse). It seems like putting 5 Ohm resistance blocks on the wires fools the car to believe it's got a working airbag. Thus avoiding that light. Sweet.

By the way... One thing i have noticed since i got this car is that at first i saw it as just another fun car to own and race the streets with... Then when i have started to modify it and driving it for larger amounts of time i seem to have developed some "f-body-love-thing". It's so easy to work on and so powerful when driving it. I'll say it's one of the best cars i've ever owned.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Der_Richter
Well i've got the SLP air lid and a K&N filterkit. Modified exhaust with headers and LoudMouth. This was ordered from SLP as an extra option when car was sold i believe.

Then the new manifold on top of that... Do i need to get a PCM tune?

And can something be done to the way the auto shifts without installing turbine or other parts? Perhaps in software?
If you're looking to improve intake further, look into the FTRA. Do some searches here, lots of good info on them. If you've already got headers, catback, lid and the new manifold, you definitely need a tune to get their full power. If you plan on adding anything else in the near future, wait until you do to get the most for your money on the tune, or you will need another later. A good tune should net you 20-30HP with your mods. Yes, the shift points and times can be changed, the tranny line pressures can be changed, the torque management can be removed, and your fuel mix can be tuned. You'd be surprised how much a good tune will do for you, kind of like adding a small cam.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Get a tune. HP tuners with a a/f meter and a friends dyno
Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Launching!

HPTuners is nice... That's what I use. I just got the basic $499 package, wish I'd have gotten the $649 full deal now...

Search this Thread