Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil cooler problem

I have a three tube aluminum oil cooler on my Z28. I also have a digital oil temp gauge. There is no bypass around the oil cooler. The oil goes from the oil filter location on the block (spin on adapter), through some lines to a duel remote filter where the batter used to be (from the factory), then to the oil cooler, then back into the spin on adapter to go into the block.

As I drive around, the gauge says the oil temp is at 220 degrees (for example), yet I can get out, pop the hood put my hand on the aluminum cooler/fittings and it not hurt at all. I'm pretty sure the gauge is working normal because when I'm on the highway, the oil and water temp will stabilize and be equal.

So I'm wondering, what is going on here? If the oil passing through the cooler is 220 degrees, then the cooler should be 220 degrees. My oil pressure is about 30psi at idle, 40-50psi cruising, and 60psi WOT. Because I’m in AZ, I’m running Mobil 1, 15W50 to rid myself of oil consumption and make up for summer heat. Is it possible the oil is going through the cooler too fast to transfer the heat out (cooler too small)?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 06-05-2003, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: oil cooler problem

ttt
Old 06-05-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: oil cooler problem

That cooler should be HOT. You better take that sandwich adapter off and take a CLOSE look at it. Is it installed properly? Do the holes that allow the oil to flow align? I installed an aftermarket cooler on my LS-1 and it gets hot. I bought the factory oil filter adapter that comes with the 6.0 liter rather than using a sandwich adapter. You better do some checking.