Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

light surging

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default light surging

hey guys i have a weird problem. i have a 01 SSm6 and at night my head lights and all other lights on the car dim and brighten back up rally fast and they constantly do this. but it only does it when i am above 1200 RPM i'm thinking its the voltage regulator but i'm just checking to make sure...... any input you could give would help out alot thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2002 Olds Intrigue that did that. It was a common problem on Intrigues and Buick Regals then. GM pronounced it "NORMAL" and wouldn't do anything about it. That car had an emissions air pump that was powered electrically and used a 50amp circuit to power it. I took that fuse out and it didn't do it any more. This caused the SES light to come on. Eventually I put the fuse back in and sold the POS. I think it was overloading the alternator and causing it to cycle on and off.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i had the problem and also all my lights started to flicker soon after . . . i replaced my alternator and that fixed it
Old 10-03-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont have a voltage regulator in a ls1

Its your alternator, i could explain to you whats bad, but thats not the point cuz its hard to fix, I suggest you buy a new one, I could get you one 80 shipped (no mods i am not selling anything, i just know of some dudes on ebay that rebuilt alternators )