Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Issues HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Issues HELP PLEASE

This doesnt seem to be a common problem but here is my situation.

I swapped an LS1 into my 240sx and bought a rebuild tranny from one of the members here. I had supposed 500 miles on the tranny.

Anyway I figured out my 2nd gear shifting issue but I'm still having a problem with heat and whining. This isn't the normal T-56 whine this only happens when warm, Clutch can be engaged or disengaged and the car can be in or out of gear doesn't matter. The car whines like a loud tea pot. It sounds like bearing but its not a normal bearing sound to me.
Now if I have it in gear and accelerate the tranny will go back to normal but as soon as I go to decelerate it starts again.

All of those problems only occur when the tranny is hot. And I mean hot enough the shifter shaft cant be touched for long periods of time unless your holding the actual shift ball/handle.

Only thing I can think is my exhaust may be heating the tranny up to much because I just drained it and refilled it with SycroMesh and it still does it.

But like I said when the tranny is cold it drives like a dream.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Banned

Its possible that the exhaust is too close to the transmission and causing the heat issues . As far as the noise only coming in once the unit is hot but quiet when the unit is cold , that is not a bearing . Bearings will make noise all the time .

Does the noise increase in sound the faster you drive or does it remain constant ?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

No its constant. Under throttle the noise goes away but when off throttle its constant until the car comes to a stop or randomly it will stop making noise if the clutch is in and the car is allowed to idle.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

If the clutch is in and the car is not moving , its not the transmission . There is nothing moving inside of it . If the clutch is out and the car is not moving then the input shaft and cluster are turning but they seldom make noise with no load on them .
Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Ill put some heat shields around the tranny or wrap the exhaust and see if the noise stops.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

Thats where I'd start too .......
Old 10-07-2007, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Well I got under the car after running it for a while and the heat off the headers isnt that harsh. No were the temp my tranny gets.

Also after talking to a tremec rep. we think it may be a pilot bearing or throw out bearing issue. Would this noise come from one of these.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 PM
wrencher

Is it an engine speed related noise or vehicle speed related?
That would dictate where I'd go from to look for the problem.
If it is making the noise at a stop The throw out or pilot would definately be suspect.

They can make alot of noises when failing.