Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 days at the track = 3 smoked alternators!! Input greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 days at the track = 3 smoked alternators!! Input greatly appreciated.

Ok here is the deal. I have had to drive home from the track 3 times on just the battery because I keep chuckin alternators. None of this started until I changed shift points to 6900 RPM

The first time was on the way home from the track. I jumped on it messing with a friend, car got into high RPM, check gauges light came on, voltage went down. This was and aftermarket Autozone alternator that I had in the car for just under a year.

I went again on Tuesday night, not even 200 miles on replacement autozone alternator. 3rd pass, check gauges light comes on as I am going through the beams @ ~ 6700 RPM.

Wendsday, got an AC Delco alternator and a new battery. Car running great at the track got about 6 passes in. Then at end of the track again, check gauges light...bye bye alternator.

I am now going to assume the alternator internals cannot handle the RPM. I know people who have spun there engines just as high, if not higher me and not had an issue. Is there something I am not doing? I have an ATI damper, stock diameter. New belt and all other pulleys are stock. Tensioner seems to be in good working order.

Now should I be looking into an aftermarket alternator ? Should I just pulley this alternator to slow it down? Any suggestions on brands or part numbers? I would like to try and find one that I can have tomorrow so I can go to the track again tomorrow night. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

I say pulley a stocker. Cheap and easy. I would also assume that your just getting unlucky but perhaps you have a grounding problem or maybe the wire coming off the alternator is bad or shorting out?

Had a pickup do the same thing (2 alternators I yanked out the boneyard though) so I ran 4 gauge off the damn thing and disconnected the factory charging wire and haven't had a problem since.

Last edited by Lickeyman; 10-04-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It sounds like you have some sort of wiring issue, look into that. I've never had a problem with my stock alt. and my motor's seen 7400 plenty of times. I am however runninga 25% underdrive pulley on the crank, so that could be helping prevent a problem.... but again, I've never heard of anyone killing the alt with RPM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

I thought of a wiring issue as well. The reason I am thinking it is because of the higher revs is because none of this ever started until I started revving the car higher, and that day it started this. I haven't had the issue at all before, only after I started getting higher in the revs.
Also nothing else seems wrong with my electrical system, no dimming lights, no weird codes. All that happens is the alternator goes bad after high RPM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:34 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on a 10% crank underdrive and I have a beefed up stocker (145 amp) on the car for almost 2 years now and its made hundred of 7000rpm + passes. But on one of my other cars I had three go out in three weeks pretty much like you, then the fourth one lasted forever.. Maybe try an underdrive (larger) alternator pulley.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

Anybody know what dimensions I should look for? I am at work and do not have an alternator in front of me. Maybe a part number?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Well I have a larger alternator pulley on the way from ASP. Hopefully that takes care of my problem.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I'm on a 10% crank underdrive and I have a beefed up stocker (145 amp) on the car for almost 2 years now and its made hundred of 7000rpm + passes. But on one of my other cars I had three go out in three weeks pretty much like you, then the fourth one lasted forever.. Maybe try an underdrive (larger) alternator pulley.
kp where did you get your beefed up alternator?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
kp where did you get your beefed up alternator?
Local aternator rebuild place did it for me, no complaints at all so far and it charges like a mother - probably taking 30hp to do so though