Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotap laptop question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autotap laptop question

Is anyone running Autotap using a USB port with a USB to serial adapter? I want to get a new laptop that doesn't have the 9-pin serial port but figured that I could run an adapter. Any forseen issues with doing this? Is it just plug in and go like with the 9-pin? Please, any info would be greatly appreciated. Autotap support said that it would work but I would like to see if someone is actually running this type of connection. Thank you for any help.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Autotap laptop question

i have not used one my self but have seen a few working with autotap 2.0. B&B electronics has one for around $40 http://www.bb-elec.com/product.asp?s...amp;dept_id=53 i think belkin makes one to.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Teching In

I tried it with Win XP to no avail. I used a Belkin USB to 9 Pin Serial Adaptor. Ended up resorting to an old beater laptop that has a 9 pin serial.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

The keyspan products work with everything. Belkin products are iffy at best. The usb converters B&B (autotap) resells ,I would assume also work. Just keep in mind that you can not run the dos version of autotap with the usb adapters. USB is not supported in dos or dos window. That means you will have to run broken windows version of autotap or get efilive or ease if you want it to work.

Gary
Old 06-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the replies guys. I have EFILive already so I don't have to worry about running in DOS mode...but the new laptop is Windows XP so I guess I will try the Keyspan adapter or the one that B&B sells. Thank you very much for the help. Not only are the cars we drive awesome...but so are the owners.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:30 PM
SB
On The Tree

I used this link for a usb adapter

USBGEAR

Steve