Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Headers

I got an 01' SS i'm goin to try to install LTubes from jackstands i know its goin to b a pain does anyone have any install guides,tips or pictures on how to install them?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Tough Mudder

It's not really that bad. Take everything you can out of the way. Coil packs, plugs etc. With the coil packs off it's not that hard to reach all the way back to the firewall.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

I was hearing that you put the pass. side in from the top and the drivers side in the bottom or can you put them both through the top?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Tough Mudder

Both from the bottom.

Do you already have the headers? There's no WAY it could go in from the top, especially on the passenger side.

If you haven't already got some, send me a pm. I've got some used ones.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the headers it can go either way, but just a few words of advice, use PB blaster on the stock bolts, get a NEW GM MLS gasket, Take your time removing the stock bolts, and take your time putting the bolts back in. If they start to cross thread, use a tap to clean and keep it straight.

Actually the driver side is the tougher of the 2 sides, take off the oil filter and drain plug and it will go in.

Also #8 Plug wire is a absolute PAIN to get on. I put it on the plug then slide it on the coil pack, oh and taking off the coil packs is a must, and you will not reuse all the bolts.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it all depends on what kind of headers you have... i did my kooks on jackstands and didnt have to remove anything. Like others said, remove entier coil pack assembly, take out the spark plugs (it will let you articulate the headers better). The only reason you need new gaskets is if your old ones are split apart (they are three pieces of metal together)
Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The higher off the ground the better. Kooks are about the easiest to install, others are more difficult. Moving the starter helps as well. My drivers side went it without moving anything. All headers install different.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

I've installed three sets of QTPs and they need A LOT of clearance because the collectors are very long and they pretty much need to go in perpendicular to the ground.

I don't recall anyone mentioning the dipstick but a 15mm combination wrench will get it out easy. Be ready to grind either the engine casting blocks or K-member. Also, the steering shaft may need to be removed.

Just take your time, don't force anything, and stay calm. If it gets frustrating, take a break and come back to it.

Good luck. You can do it!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

a 10mm ratchet wrench comes in hand. i have a guide from another member. here u go http://www.cardomain.com/ride/243722/11
Old 10-05-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

I did my Pacesetters on jackstands. Only plug I removed was 1 or 3, no grinding, reused stock gaskets. Dipstick wouldn't come out and I mangled it. Got a new one from the dealer for like $18. The broken part that fell into the pan came out during the next oil change, much to my (happy) surprise.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

I know a lot of guys who've successfully installed headers on jackstand. IMHO if you have access to a lift, go that route. It is just easer to raise and lower the car at will depending on what particular challenge you may be wrestling with. You can set her close to the groung to access the engine bay, or get it WAY up in the air to troubleshoot. We've always had to install the LT's from underneath. I've never seen it done any other way.....perhaps someone has been able to successfully do it that way. Either way, lift or jack stand, be safe and good luck with everything.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pic of my car just as I finished my 1 7/8 kooks LT install. I could have used just a little more height to get the headers in place but its for sure doable. ratcheting wrenches are a Huge plus.. also impact gun is good to have for snaping off all the stock exhaust bolts. lol.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Launching!

I installed hooker ceramic headers.I removed no plugs,filter coil packs or starter...they went right in easy peasy.As far as the header bolts go if you have the right wrenches ,extensions and use arp header bolts it makes it alot easier
Old 10-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

I installed my pacesetters a little over a week ago with jackstands. You will want the car as high as possible before you start. I had to jack mine up in 2 steps just to make sure I had enough clerance. I used a couple of blocks of wood between the jack and the crossmember for extra height. I probably didnt need it that high, but I'm 6'3 and have long arms, so I wanted some room.

I removed the coil packs and all bolts were fairly easy to get at. Go to lowes and get a 10mm gear wrench, it'll be your best friend for this job Also buy lots of PB penetrating spray. I soaked all the bolts a few times the night before I started pulling everything. I didnt have any bolts break on me, nor did I have a hard time breaking any loose.

Both headers will have to go in from the bottom. I have pacesetters, and the passenger side went in very easy. I had a little trouble with the drivers side hitting on the casting tab on that side of the engine. It took me the whole of 1 min to cut the casting tab in half with a sawzall, then the header went right in. Sometime the steering shaft has to be taken loose, but mine didnt.

Its a pretty straight forward install. Take your time and dont get upset if it doesnt go as fast as you would like. Mine took about 8 hours spread over 2 days. Do a search and you should find lots of threads about how to install them, many of them with pics.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed my LT header with no problems just removed the spark plugs and pushed them up and bolted them on.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

i did my hooker about a month ago and it was easy. 2 jackstands in front. about 18in off the ground. didnt have to remove anything but the plug wires. get a swivel ratchet it will help. i reused almost everything and i have no leaks at all. and bring some friends over so when you get too pissed to work they can work on it.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

THankx everyone for all your help i think i got enough info to throw them bad boys in!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed 1 3/4 american racing long tubes. Needed about 20" of ground clearance with jack stands and only thing I had to remove were the coil packs and steering linkage.

Otherthan that they slid right in with no problems.

When I removed the stock system I just used some WD40 and a rubber mallet and the bolts came right out.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

I'm buyin a set of SLP Lt's how much more difficult r those from the other brands?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

I heard SLP's scrape like you wouldn't believe even on stock ride height.