Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

desired AFR w/water/meth inj

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default desired AFR w/water/meth inj

i know some you are running water/math/alky injection on your set ups. the question being. what afr are you guys aiming for in your tuning?

reason being, i keep hearing conflicting things about it from buick guys, and other people who are running this set up. or just water injection in general.

in short, im running 17.5 psi. 25 degrees of total timing, and an average afr of 12.0

zero knock, egt peaks at 1425 on a 0-110 mph pass {no it's not an lsx family engine, but the same theory applies}

am i retarded for doing this on 91 octane? i can get more aggressive with the tune if i want, i just stopped there.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The trick is to stop thinking in AFR and to start thinking in Lambda. Retune the car for 12.0 AFR on your wideband and forget about ratios of different fuels. The sensors do not care about AFR, only lambda.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zombie
The trick is to stop thinking in AFR and to start thinking in Lambda. Retune the car for 12.0 AFR on your wideband and forget about ratios of different fuels. The sensors do not care about AFR, only lambda.
this i know. the PE is set at 13.0 right now. it runs 12.0. the reason i asked this, is i keep hearing conflicting stories of "how" it should be done. not a "why" it is like this.

before i messed with the pe and other things, the car would run 11.3 on motor. turn the injection on. 9.8. turn it off. 11.3

so, i compensated for it, hence the 12.0 with it on.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I tune with meth isn't like most. I'll tune my car to 11.0 a/f at say 13psi. I'll then up the boost to 15psi which will usually lean it out to 12ish and then make up the difference with the water/meth. I'll also set my knock attack rate high so if I experience knock and don't see it on the scan gage i'll feel it as a massive loss of power. Losing 7 degrees of timing gets your attention. This way I can run 13psi no meth or run 15psi with the meth and even if the meth fails it's not like i'm going to blow up the engine since i'm not 100% reliant on it. I use my meth as a safety net vs using it to squeeze tons more power out of my setup. It works great here in vegas on are 110+ F days.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zombie
The way I tune with meth isn't like most. I'll tune my car to 11.0 a/f at say 13psi. I'll then up the boost to 15psi which will usually lean it out to 12ish and then make up the difference with the water/meth. I'll also set my knock attack rate high so if I experience knock and don't see it on the scan gage i'll feel it as a massive loss of power. Losing 7 degrees of timing gets your attention. This way I can run 13psi no meth or run 15psi with the meth and even if the meth fails it's not like i'm going to blow up the engine since i'm not 100% reliant on it. I use my meth as a safety net vs using it to squeeze tons more power out of my setup. It works great here in vegas on are 110+ F days.

after a scare last night, i can understand where you're comming from on the saftey window. so i went back and riched it up, and built a fail safe map into the current one i have now.